Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to impending changes to UK immigration rules, my wife and I might not be able to meet the new requirements (she's a student and won't initially earn enough to sponsor me). Though it's not our preferred option, we are having to consider the prospect of moving to the United States (I'm a US citizen). I won't ask a million questions regarding all the forms and requirements, as I still need to do a lot of research into this. However, I had a brief question that I couldn't easily find a clear answer for. Can we apply for her to come to the US as my spouse from the UK? My residence is here and I am currently working part-time while studying toward a PhD. I file US tax returns, but I cannot claim employment in the US. Are foreign earnings comsidered? Do I have to move to the US, get a job and THEN apply for my wife to join me? That could mean that we'd be separated for quite a long time, which is really unfortunate, but if that's everyone else's experience, I suppose it will be ours as well.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts