Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have spent significant time this year seeking opportunities with little or no response (not even a no!) from advertisements on the various job boards - with only a couple of interviews which turned out to not be a fit (either way). I spoke with someone the other day who was of the opinion that to find a job in Southern Spain (I assumed he meant anywhere) it required you to 'be there' - I wanted to find out members opinions on whether this is usually the case, I personally have a hard time believing that given I wasn't really asked whether I was already there or not!

Im starting out 'cold' - i.e. I have no network in the UK so all applications are from scratch. I even tried to look for UK companies with satelite offices in Spain so I could get an 'in' by working in the UK and getting posted out there, to no avail.

Be very interested to hear of other 'professionals' who were able to find work in another country and transfer, and typical times of how long they were looking for before opps came up. I am going to take a break now and find contracts in the UK as I am told that July/Aug is generally quiet (I guess like the UK) in Spain as everyone goes on holiday.

I am an IT Manager with 20 yrs in the IT world.

Many thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Hi all,

I have spent significant time this year seeking opportunities with little or no response (not even a no!) from advertisements on the various job boards - with only a couple of interviews which turned out to not be a fit (either way). I spoke with someone the other day who was of the opinion that to find a job in Southern Spain (I assumed he meant anywhere) it required you to 'be there' - I wanted to find out members opinions on whether this is usually the case, I personally have a hard time believing that given I wasn't really asked whether I was already there or not!

Im starting out 'cold' - i.e. I have no network in the UK so all applications are from scratch. I even tried to look for UK companies with satelite offices in Spain so I could get an 'in' by working in the UK and getting posted out there, to no avail.

Be very interested to hear of other 'professionals' who were able to find work in another country and transfer, and typical times of how long they were looking for before opps came up. I am going to take a break now and find contracts in the UK as I am told that July/Aug is generally quiet (I guess like the UK) in Spain as everyone goes on holiday.

Many thanks!

Rob
Here's a recent thread which didn't get many replies but it does talk about IT
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...73977-what-kind-jobs-available-your-area.html

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi all,

Many thanks!

Rob
Obviously, you might stand more of a chance if you were actually here and fluent in Spanish and already working in IT here, just as those criteria would affect your getting a job in the UK.

Unless you are here and in work with a verifiable record of your abilities, you are, in fact, just another IT person. Your current position of "IT manager" is meaningless to a Spanish company.

15 years ago, I was Project Manager for a computer audit company and could have walked into a job in Madrid, or Amsterdam, or Brussels, or Vienna, or Geneva, or Zurich or... with one of the clients whose IT systems we had audited simply because I pulled the MD's butt out of the mire and had proved my capabilities.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
When I first moved to Spain, I could not even get an interview without a full Spanish CV, a Spanish address and phone number. Applications made before all this was in place were simply ignored.

Now that I am planning to return to Spain after some time away, I have started to apply for a few jobs. Even though I have 10 years experience in Spain, a Spanish address and phone number, I am still finding it difficult. I strongly suspect that this is because I have not yet returned.

In short, yes, I think "being there" is very, very important.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hi all,

Many thanks!

Rob
I found IT work in Madrid after arriving in Madrid. I've also met people who were transferred over to Madrid with their company, but I've never met anyone who got a job in Spain while living in the UK. I suspect employers feel more confident that applicants are genuine if they already live in Spain, and have their social security already sorted out. If you have skills which are in high demand then you might have more luck I guess but, to be frank, southern Spain isn't known for being a hotbed for the latest IT techniques.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hi Op,

If you want southern Spain you're probably going to have to try Gibraltar (which is not southern Spain, I know, but is close). There are plenty of IT jobs in Barcelona and Madrid but the VAST majority are going to want some language skills. Do you speak any other languages?

Jobs requiring certain in-demand IT skills are sometimes available to English-only speakers but generic IT managers don't fall into that bracket.

As for the question.... do you have to be here. In Madrid and Barcelona that's going to help enormously but in southern Spain, I don't think it matters. It's not where the jobs are.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I find it difficult to believe that Kingleonidas believes he has a chance in Spain. Let's face the harsh reality that while property prices are on the favourable turn (albeit slightly) the jobs situation is still dropping at a rate of knots.

We're looking at the Greeks and their attempts to remain within the Eurozone which they probably will by the skin of their teeth and we all know that it is only a matter of a short time before Greece defaults again. Spain is just up the road from being another Greece and will of course be somewhat saved largely by Expats.

I've see too many battle hardened expats in Spain fail. These have years of experience in Spain and have been on the breadline for years. They are dropping one by one and very shortly the UK will have more fluent Spanish speaking Brits than Spain.

Anybody with a grain of sense would dismiss Spain (as the politicians say "at this point in time") as a source of decent income.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hi Leper,

I often hear Brits saying how lazy "we" are about languages. I understand why we are like that, we speak the most spoken language in the world, so we can afford to be lazy (until we go and live elsewhere, then we shouldn't be). If a foreigner decides to learn a language without any thought he/she selects English, it's the ultimate no-brainer, as they say. If a Brit who doesn't live abroad decides to learn a language it's a toss-up between French, Spanish, German and possibly one or two others.

So, I agree with you when you say you find it difficult to believe but for different reasons. With me, it's wondering what makes someone think they can go into a professional environment in a foreign country without knowing the local language. I'm not talking about the Op here because for all I know he speaks fluent Spanish, but we do see a few people who don't seem to think that the language will be a barrier. Presumably these are people who holiday in Spain and, because they can order a beer and plate of food in English, assume that everybody speaks English.

That said, there is some availability for in-demand IT skills and it seems they are ready to take English-only speakers, probably because they stand little chance of filling these positions any other way. There was a job in Alicante advertised a couple of weeks ago for someone to do an improvement programme in an IT service delivery organisation, but it appears to have gone. They're few and far between outside of the two big cities.

The battle-hardened Brits you speak of are those on the costas "making do" in a tough environment. There have always been Brits in the big cities in professional jobs and they've survived, but they are a tiny tiny fraction of the working population (the professional population, even) and as you say, it's far more rare to see one in Spain than a professional Spaniard in Britain, of whom there are many.

All people like the Op can do is keep looking for an opportunity and hope one comes up. And in the meantime, LEARN SPANISH.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi Leper,

I often hear Brits saying how lazy "we" are about languages. I understand why we are like that, we speak the most spoken language in the world,
Sorry but we don't. First is Chinese, second is Spanish, then English. When you hear some Brits talk, one can be in doubt as to whether it is a first language or just something they are picking up as they go along.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I thought Chinese was the most spoken first language but English was the most spoken in terms over worldwide speakers when including those whose second language it is (but I can't be a***d checking).

I don't understand your second point.

And don't be sorry :)

·
Administrator
36,535 Posts
I thought Chinese was the most spoken first language but English was the most spoken in terms over worldwide speakers when including those whose second language it is (but I can't be a***d checking).

I don't understand your second point.

And don't be sorry :)
it is, if you include those who speak English as a second language - you're correct

841 million English speakers v 489million Spanish speakers

the only reason Mandarin beats English is because China is the most populated country in the world

·
Registered
410 Posts
English is THE business language of the World. That would be the reason Asia is quite literally a wash with ESL teachers!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I understand there are more English speakers in China than in the US.

According to the Cervantes Institute Spanish is #2 in the world in terms of native speakers. It does seem to depend on who is counting, however, as sometimes Hindi or some other language is #2.

English is also the technology language which should help the OP.

But I briefly glanced at jobserve and, my god, Spain has very, very few technology jobs (for the entire country). I would think you would need a full Spanish CV, language skills, and work permit to even try, unless you are absolutely unique in some way.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Oh, really? I wonder how good their English is, or do most of them speak some form of Chinglish?
I think there are millions of learners of English in China. For those who are interested see the Jay Walker video below. Short (less than 5 mins) and very interesting especially for TEFL teachers and also for those interested in the Chinese
Jay walker explains why 2 billion people are learning English
Jay Walker: The world's English mania | TED Talk | TED.com
I wonder when you are classified as a speaker of a language as opposed to a learner of that language?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts