Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your intend to help me, I'm Nandhu, currently in Dubai for a job, with more than 40 days, I'm still expecting a better tomorrow. I haven't received a single call regarding interviews or jobs so far and I'm trying the most possible ways to sneak in. This retardation in the hunt shackled my hopes a bit and let me to search where I went wrong. Also i began to double check my resume for any fundamental mistakes. I'm an engineering graduate with MBA in Operations & Marketing management. I have 1 year of exp in India. I still don't know why there's no reason for a call.
I believe mostly in experts advice than believing in any other source, I would like to key-in some of my phrases of resume, so that I can have your suggestions, advice or opinions.

Objective
I am seeking for a management position that involves a conducive and challenging environment and has fully fledged scope in career development, honing my skills and striving to belong to the finest in the industry.

Professional Experience
As a Cost analyst Jr. from Jan 2011 to Jan 2012
Had been working as a Cost Analyst Jr. in a Manufacturing Company named x for a span of almost 365 days. My primary role over there was Collecting, Organizing and Analyzing data to determine cost of products to include raw materials purchase, inventory, direct and indirect cost as well as labor and other manufacturing costs effecting contribution margin level.

Key Skills

 Creative and innovative
 Strong drive to success: Goal-oriented and Result driven
 Active listener – Willing to learn and listen
 Ability to communicate effectively to clarify complex data and sensitive info
 Team lead abilities
 Excellent organization skills
 Resourceful
 Critical thinking ability
 Naturally Persuasive, self-motivated
 A Planner and a strategist
 Polished presentation skills
 Adaptability and tolerance
 Good at time management

Technical Skills

 Expert in making the most of MS Office package(1997-2010) especially with MS Excel, PowerPoint
 SPSS ver. 16, 17 (Beginner)
 Adobe Photoshop (Advanced level), Adobe Premiere (Beginner), MX Flash (Intermediate)
 Programming languages like C, C++, Java (Beginner)
 Scripting language like HTML (Intermediate)

Then is my Education Qualification details followed by

Areas of Interest

 Business Statistics, Operation Research, Performance Improvement
 Logistics Planning, Supply Chain Logistics, Inventory control
 Materials Planning, Distribution Management, Inventory Management, Cost Reduction
 Just In Time, MRP, Ocean, Air & Land Freight
 Warehouse Management, Vendor Management

Extra and Co-curricular activities

 Has embodied the company(KVS Enterprises) during a Hyundai Audit
 Had been a student coordinator for campus placements in SRM University
 Had been a representative of Computer Science Department in Under Graduation
 The Cultural head in conducting “I- Sage,” a national level event of SRM University
 Had done designing works on behalf of college and also for x company
 Has created miniature ads for college using simple tools

Then its it concluded by Languages known, Personal Details and Reference.

Can you please suggest your opinions in making it a better one especially with the Objective.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The objective would be better if it was deleted. It's BS. All objective statements in CVs are cringe-inducing BS.

Rewrite your professional experience in clear simple English. Mention tools & techniques you used and something you achieved.

Delete the key skills section - also BS.

Rewrite the extra and co-curricular (first time I have heard this phrase) section in clear, simple English. You embodied the company during a Hyundai Audit? - what does that mean? what did you actually do? And so on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
You have 1 year experience in a very junior role. That's why you're not getting any management positions.

Your Key Skills should be examples of your technical competence. For example, you say you're creative and innovative. You have no way of quantifying this, especially from your work experience. Your one and only job is a Junior Cost Analyst. How can you possible claim to have team lead abilities?

Basically, your CV reads like you have an incredible lack of self-awareness and you don't seem to have any direction whatsoever. Your degree is in Engineering, your MBA is in Marketing, your only work experience is Cost Analysis, your technical skills are in computer programming and yet you seem to want a management position in a Logistics company. You're all over the place!

Agree with the chap above, ditch the objectives, combine the 2 skills section and cut out the crap (try and half 6 solid skills) and definitely cut out the areas of interest, keep that for a covering letter, it makes you look like you'll take any job going. Your CV should be tailored to each individual application.

And ditch the photograph of you with your bright purple shirt from the top right hand corner of the front page. Half the CV's I get look like they should be applying for a role in a Bollywood movie.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, like basc said before : Objective and Key skills (I would delete). However you can write a very nice professional Cover Letter that includes your objective and key skills, and you can send to companies together with your CV.

Professional experience: should state clearly Company name; dates; position; main duties and achievements. Single sentences in plain English, without the " for a span of almost 365 days" or anything similar. As basc also said" Mention tools & techniques you used and something you achieved".

I don't get the "extra curricular" activities, but I would delete that section and add it as actual working experience or projects. So you could add the dates, company name or specific project details.

Good luck on your search and don't give up :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have 1 year experience in a very junior role. That's why you're not getting any management positions.

Your Key Skills should be examples of your technical competence. For example, you say you're creative and innovative. You have no way of quantifying this, especially from your work experience. Your one and only job is a Junior Cost Analyst. How can you possible claim to have team lead abilities?

Basically, your CV reads like you have an incredible lack of self-awareness and you don't seem to have any direction whatsoever. Your degree is in Engineering, your MBA is in Marketing, your only work experience is Cost Analysis, your technical skills are in computer programming and yet you seem to want a management position in a Logistics company. You're all over the place!

Agree with the chap above, ditch the objectives, combine the 2 skills section and cut out the crap (try and half 6 solid skills) and definitely cut out the areas of interest, keep that for a covering letter, it makes you look like you'll take any job going. Your CV should be tailored to each individual application.

And ditch the photograph of you with your bright purple shirt from the top right hand corner of the front page. Half the CV's I get look like they should be applying for a role in a Bollywood movie.
Thank you for your suggestions. I'll change accordingly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also can you please guide me in creating a new resume, like what all to be emphasized, what all to be skipped and in which order. Because Indian style of writing resume is entirely different, they'll literally skip the resumes which don't have an objective and 70% don't know the actual purpose of a cover letter. To be honest even I'm one among those, still I don't know what to be added in a Cover letter. My cover consists of What I'm applying for, Why me, How I came to know about the opening and ways to contact me. Is this fine ? And also as you mentioned I'm really confused to proceed in which field as my career. Since its just a beginning i hope i have a wide options to choose from. In India they wont value for the qualification at entry level, internal politics plays a major role. 80% of employees are treated very badly in IT firms and especially in Call Centers. In my previous company, I had a very good learning, only my designations sound as cost analyst, but what i actually did was admin and operations work. It was flexible as it was a small company. Can you suggest me the possible designation for an MBA in Operations here. With Indian market's hangover I'm totally confused of what to choose here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.