Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will shortly be updating the 'Info everyone needs to know' thread, but would like some input regarding any other information that you feel would be useful to include. Bear in mind that the guide is for people from all countries.

Thanks

-

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I will shortly be updating the 'Info everyone needs to know' thread, but would like some input regarding any other information that you feel would be useful to include. Bear in mind that the guide is for people from all countries.

Thanks

-
For newcomers an area guide would be really helpful, as in which parts are cheaper to live in for property. I know there is the general costing overview but if you don't know the areas fully and are looking for somewhere just cheap/expensive then that would really be helpful.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Visa Issues, housing, rentals (car and housing), country information

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm going through the moving process now. Here are some of the things I have been worrying about:

Car Rental
Real Estate Agents
Cost of living (power, water, internet)
Suburbs ... which is best for which lifestyle and which ones are finished.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

Thanks

-
Travel times from one area to another would be useful, just roughly from a main area to another etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hey sorry about that Elphaba I meant no offence, crossmyhearthopetodie.

I was trying to interject humour in the middle of the seriousness - it's a bad habit :)

if I were to add something:

1) I guess a separate thread for consulate locations of the major represented demographics

2) One for food - I understand tastes are varied, but a brief price range & choice spots for the usual culinary suspects would be useful for those reading

3) Something covering telecom / internet costs - everytime I have guests coming in they ask me about what & how fast it takes to get connected (I promise not to post my gripes about Etisalat's price gouging vis a vis Al Shamil :p )

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

Thanks

-
A COST OF LIVING QUOTE FOR FOOD/CLOTHES ETC. tHEY DO THIS ON SOME TEFL SITES AND IT IS REALLY HELPFUL WHEN TRYING TO GUAGE WHETHER YOU CAN LIVE ON THE SALARY OFFERED OR NOT.

Sorry about cap lock but can't be arsed to retype!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Maybe something on laws affecting expats beyond your residence visa - I don't mean laws as per the "getting arrested" thread, but any experience people have of family law, making wills in the UAE etc could be useful

At this rate we will be publishing a second Dubai Explorer on the forum!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoa! You people don't want much! :D

I'll get around to revising and incorporating over the next few weeks. Once it's done though, woe betide anyone who asks questions before reading the guide! :cool:

-

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Whoa! You people don't want much! :D

I'll get around to revising and incorporating over the next few weeks. Once it's done though, woe betide anyone who asks questions before reading the guide! :cool:

-
As if we would! :D:tongue1::eyebrows:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Haven't checked to see if you already have it. But something along the lines of : keep an open mind; you're not in Kansas anymore etc :d

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ditto

I'm going through the moving process now. Here are some of the things I have been worrying about:

Car Rental
Real Estate Agents
Cost of living (power, water, internet)
Suburbs ... which is best for which lifestyle and which ones are finished.
Would love to see this info!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.