Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Extreme posted something today that gave me an idea for a light hearted thread .... (you should know by now that this is more my style than the heavy stuff :D)

It will require honesty though - as opposed to downright lies and showing off! :rolleyes: or maybe we will have to stretch the truth a little to give everyone a chance to post something :p

My claim to fame:

I went to Grammar school with William Hague! The best thing I remember is that we had the afternoon off school to celebrate his speech at the Conservative Party conference when he was only just out of school shorts!

I used to belong to Rotherham Harriers and ran regularly with Peter Elliot who went on to win a Silver medal at the commonwealth games (I was much slower!)

I was on the phone to Frank Bough live on Breakfast TV when I rang in to complain about Brian Clough bashing a couple of supporters for invading the pitch at Nottingham forest!

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Im thinking, Im thinking ... Im sure Im more famous than just this!

Sue :love:

·
Banned
642 Posts
Well let's see, I was a close friend of Neil Warnock in my teens, I recall nutmegging him during a friendly match.

I have never met William but I used to know his father Nigel, the company that I worked at insured his soft drinks firm in Rawmarsh.

I often stop to chat to the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, when on my many visits of Chatsworth.

I'm on first name terms with Lord Roy Hattersley, he was my mother's boss many moons ago, and used to come in for a cuppa when he gave her a lift home. I've often wondered --------------, but I don't look anything like him, honest. ;)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well let's see, I was a close friend of Neil Warnock in my teens, I recall nutmegging him during a friendly match.

I have never met William but I used to know his father Nigel, the company that I worked at insured his soft drinks firm in Rawmarsh.

I often stop to chat to the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, when on my many visits of Chatsworth.

I'm on first name terms with Lord Roy Hattersley, he was my mother's boss many moons ago, and used to come in for a cuppa when he gave her a lift home. I've often wondered --------------, but I don't look anything like him, honest. ;)
My God Im just leaving the office now but need to come back to you tomorrow .... I was born in Rawmarsh and used to have pop delivered from Hagues !!! takes me back that does! :D

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I was on TV line dancing for the series The Doctor. :eek:

I was the only person in my juniour school to obtain the 1st, 2nd and 3rd class swimming badges in one season.

My friend is the cousin of Jasper Carrot!

Can't think of anything else for now!! A bit boring really :bored:

·
Registered
896 Posts
One of the two albums we did in the 80's was reviewed in Kerrang magazine and on the page opposite was a review of the new solo album from non other than Joe Walsh (The Eagles). We got three and a half stars but Joe only got three so my claim to fame is I was once in a band that got half a star more than the mighty Joe Walsh:D:D

Doggy

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
One of the two albums we did in the 80's was reviewed in Kerrang magazine and on the page opposite was a review of the new solo album from non other than Joe Walsh (The Eagles). We got three and a half stars but Joe only got three so my claim to fame is I was once in a band that got half a star more than the mighty Joe Walsh:D:D

Doggy
Nice one Doggy. :) What was the name of your band?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Nice one Doggy. :) What was the name of your band?
There were two names (we had to change the first name to sell in America........ not that it did much of that tho':D) but the same band.

"Holland" ("Early Warning" was the album) was the first and "Hammer" ("Contract with Hell") the second but I can't for the life of me remember which album it was that gave Joe Walsh a good kicking;)

They're probably on yootoob...... hell, everything else is:D

Doggy

·
Registered
896 Posts
Doggy Style? :)
Not quite :D but in keeping with the topic I reached my own personal claim to fame when I finally managed to get a band together called "Doggy & the Puppies"
That had been a personal goal of mine for years:cool:

Doggy
p.s. Bloody good band as well:clap2:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
There were two names (we had to change the first name to sell in America........ not that it did much of that tho':D) but the same band.

"Holland" ("Early Warning" was the album) was the first and "Hammer" ("Contract with Hell") the second but I can't for the life of me remember which album it was that gave Joe Walsh a good kicking;)

They're probably on yootoob...... hell, everything else is:D

Doggy
Couldn't find anything on ytube. Only had a quick look tho'!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Oh I have a great one, I used to help a GP look after a famous actor (and his brother actually), I've even had administer an enema to this particular gentleman on a few occasions!!!

Sadly I cant name names due to patient confidentiality!!!!!

Oh and I was in the tabloids and "womens magazines a few years ago cos I lost over 6 sotne on the Atkins diet!!!

Jo xx

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
Oh and I was in the tabloids and "womens magazines a few years ago cos I lost over 6 sotne on the Atkins diet!!!

Jo xx
6 stone!?
That's amazing Jo! You well deserved to get your name in the papers. How's it going with keeping the weight off?

Claims to fame - none really, but stretching it a bit both John Cleese and Roal Dahl and Racy (!!) lived in Weston super Dump/ Mare, and so have I!
I was once seen on the telly aged about 10 pulling up my socks.
Have appeared in the local paper (The Echo I think in Glos.) for winning a 3 legged race and the sack race in the local fete.

I prefer the Joe Walsh story from Ow Doggy. What a man Joe Walsh is/ was?

·
Registered
896 Posts
6 stone!?

I prefer the Joe Walsh story from Ow Doggy. What a man Joe Walsh is/ was?
Aye:clap2:
Is he still going? .....dunno, mind you, if only half the stories are true about some of the funny stuff he was into he shouldn't have lasted five mins....... a full & varied life I think they call it;):D

Doggy

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have shaken hands with President Aznar (but I didn't know who he was until somebody told me later).

As a kid I was friendly with Alicia Silverstone...we met as we were staying in the same hotel on holiday in Spain and then stayed in contact for a while. She wasn't famous at that point.

My OH has an olympic silver medal from Athens (not really MY claim to fame, but I'll claim it by association!!).

Jo......that is AMAZING! I was thinking of starting Weightwatchers in Sept, but now I am tempted to take a look at Atkins instead.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Jo xx
Six stone!!!!! hell's teeth:eek: ....... from your pics you look like one of those lasses that's been slim forever ......... just shows what I know eh:confused:

Doggy

·
Registered
896 Posts
I remember that!

The headline was "Fat airhead no longer a bloater!". :D
XTreme! That's a terrible thing to say & you should be ashamed of yourself

:D:D sorry :D:D it's set me off again :D:D:D tears, Ted Heath shoulders....the full bifter :D:D:D god that's funny :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D sorry............:D

Doggy:D:D

G

·
I'm ignoring "that" remark!!!!:(!!! There you go! me way back when........

Jo xxx
Your slimming result is almost as stunning as you are :love:.

Ok claims to fame. Sang a solo to Ted Heath when I was in the scholl choir. Was friends with Maria Whittaker was I was very small and she was not so well developed as she went on to be. We used to have parties at my dads farm in Smarden in Kent which was attended by some famous people including Boy George, Louise Collins, lots of the page 3 girls and others I cant even remember. Last year we had dinner at a charity ball at La Manga with Stan Bordman, Alan Shearer, Kenny Dalgliesh plus various other sports stars. I stayed with a friend who used to be a Entertianment agent at his house in Benidorm and ended up sharing the house with Leapy Lee of "little Arrows" fame. My next door neighbour now used to be a presenter for BBC Radio Essex and now works over here for a Tv station and a radio station. Lots of others but won´t bore you with them all yet.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.