Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Young people (18-21 aprox.)

36K views 200 replies 93 participants last post by  venomsaajid 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.
I'm a young girl living in Dubai and has done so for the last 4 months.
I miss some company in my life here - mostly in my age as i know a lot of people 5-10 years older than me here.
I thought, maybe we could do some stuff together (watching movies, go shopping, to cafés, go out etc.).

Anyone up for it?

xx Cecilie

#2 ·
I think that's an awkward age to meet people here, those moving here to work will tend to be older than that, and ex-pat families here are likely to send their kids back to their home countries for university around that age group. Good luck though!

#9 ·
Why? It's not that I don't like hanging with people above 25, my husband is 28. I just miss some people to talk to - when you reach 25, it's like the personal stuff doesn't matter anymore. But to me it does, and I need it. I left all my friends in Denmark when I left, so I'm quite alone.

#11 ·
I'm 22.

I'm use to it now, all my friends are 25-31 !

--------

Speaking of rock climbing, what great fun, lizzy do you go to WAFI?

#14 ·
hii, I am 20 and from the UK....Most people i have met here are older then me...not that its a problem as age really does not mean a lot here which is great! but sometimes people of different ages talk about different things and may have different interests or be at different stages in their life so always good to interact with ppl your own age to!

I miss a lot of friends i had in the UK to!so feel free to contact me or add me on facebook :) my email is on my profile! (I'm female by the way my name doesn't give it away) lol

#15 ·
Hi

I am also a young girl, 23 :) I would love to meet up when I come in March. I have lived in Latvia for three years and it was hard meeting people in my age here as well. Most of my friends here have been older so it would be fun to hang out with some younger girls in Dubai now and then. :)

Tess

#19 ·
I mainly stay in Abu Dhabi on the weekdays but thursday evenings, friday and saturday i am back in dubai. yes driving is always on the agenda, a bit tiring though but gotta be careful of all the crazy drivers out there.

if you would like to go to the coolest places in dubai you could join my cousin and me as we take our car some days and just go out there, get lost and find our way back home :) its a bit fun sometimes.

going to the mall, movies, dine ins, sometimes the clubs, thers a lot you could do if you had good company.

i just turned 23 a few days ago btw, if you would like to join, let me know.

Mohit

#25 ·
Hi, Im 22, from the UK to Dubai 3 weeks ago

i am looking to make friends outside of work who live in dubai and are around my age, doesnt have to be exact. i just want to build up my social circle in dubai.

i have been out twice to a club since ive been here and really enjoyed it although there are wayyyy too many men and not enough girls in the clubs :p

if anyone if interested in chatting or meeting or whatever send me a message.
please no old men, not interested!

:) xxx

#26 ·
Hi, Im 22, from the UK to Dubai 3 weeks ago

i am looking to make friends outside of work who live in dubai and are around my age, doesnt have to be exact. i just want to build up my social circle in dubai.

i have been out twice to a club since ive been here and really enjoyed it although there are wayyyy too many men and not enough girls in the clubs :p

if anyone if interested in chatting or meeting or whatever send me a message.
please no old men, not interested!

:) xxx
You will have to partipate in the forum to get to five posts for people to be able to pm you. Get to posting :)

#28 ·
Hey Cecilie,

I am 21 - My partner (24) is working in Dubai at the moment and we are hoping to be completly relocated by end of July.

The only concern I had was meeting people my age to hang out with (especially when my better half is working)

Have you had any luck finding a younger community?

Im going to be heading over to Dubai begining of March if you want to meet up for lunch or something?

Danielle x

#37 ·
Most expats tend to mingle. I would say that you are more likely to hang out with people who share similar interests to you as opposed to people of your own age group. Most of my friends fall in the 25 - 40 age bracket - we all get on well with each other simply because we like the same things/ activities.

As an example, I work with someone who is in his 50s but I would quite happily hang out with him simply because he is a fun guy and knows how to have fun (he's like a 12 year old at heart!)

#39 ·
Hey

Got here abt a month ago :)

just managed to find a place and get into some routine !

and now realise that I haven't got the chance to meet anyone outside work !

and 2 straight weekends have been quite dull !

but got past it thx to prison break :)

but now need to get out, meet ppl, discover places :)

would love some company !

#40 · (Edited)
Ok, just to recap for the young kids on the thread:

1. People here tend to mingle rather than hang out in their own age groups, simply because its not common to see many 18-22 year olds living here alone or whatever. Most people here are here for jobs and chances are they are in their mid-twenties or above.

2. Every week on this forum, someone is hosting something ... somewhere. All you need to do is use the forum and check, search, read, participate. The last two Thursdays we have had a group of over 25 people meet up for drinks and party and if you'd bothered to check the forum, you would have seen those posts inviting everyone, young and old.

3. As a last resort, if you are worried about joining an already planned event then why not plan your own? Post on here with what you'd like to do and where and you'll get tons of responses. People do movie nights, dinners, brunch, etc and lastly, this is not the only forum and / or place to communicate with people in Dubai, if you use Google wisely, you'll find even more options.

My recommendation? Go out and meet people, regardless of age or race or whatever. Just meet up, nothing to lose and everything to gain. All my amazing friends here Ive met because Ive gone out and socialized. We hope to meet you new people at next Thursday's events! Cheers.

#42 ·
Hey I’ve been here for 4 month I’ve met some ppl but I don’t mind expanding my social circle you know. I tried meeting with all the guys on Thursday but I wasn’t able to reach Adam as i only have his number. So I was thinking we could make an event us young crowed. Any ideas!!!!
Btw I’m 23

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.