Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been looking around the forum for a while now, and thought I'd best sign up!

My name's Dan, and long story short is that I've been offered a role with my current employer in their Dubai office. It's a new job, so I've had to train for it and it'll be a new contract.

My question is... I've only just today found out my start date, and it's in 17 days time?! So I have two weeks to pack up my stuff, tie up lose ends and get myself to the sand pit.

I've got a check list of things I need to do, but I have no doubt there's going to be things I miss.

Can anyone give me tips on what I'll need to ensure I've done before I fly out? (don't need to worry about home/utilities etc).

My big question is around the HMRC, the biggest draw to Dubai is the tax free salary, and some people have said I shouldn't inform HMRC that I'm moving, but others have said i have to.

What should I do?

Cheers all!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
1. I moved in 11 days

2. Read the Forum - your question is too general to get a sensibel answer.

3. You should inform HMRC on a P85 form. If you don't its not that important but it'll make sorting out your tax for this half year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, I've read the forum, but couldn't find anything that answered my question, which I should have worded more along the lines of:

"is there anything that you wish you'd done/taken the first time you moved, something that you maybe hadn't originally thought of"

With regards to the P85 and tax, I'm not sure what you mean by "it'll make sorting your tax for this half year"

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
How much tax are you planning to pay given you are in the UK April-September and in the UAE October to March ? There's plenty of content on the forum covering all your question already.

Best you start reading up on tax liabilities.

I didnt answer the question as there wasnt anything in particular.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts