Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now almost all our income is internet based, we are on the verge of relocating from West Wales to Brittany. Having lived here for over 20 years, the recent run of soggy summers, and winters which switch between rain and frost, has got us down. We're hoping to find somewhere with shorter winters, better summers and less rain but reading the posts on some threads I am beginning to wonder if Brittany is any better!

We have horses so need a climate where they will be comfortable, and I don't like it too hot either, so a northern climate is fine. The rainfall stats for Brittany show half the rainfall we have here but I need reasurance that it actually is drier day to day and we won't just be moving to a windy permadrizzle zone!

We are totally flexible on location but have been thinking of the Pontivy region, for the lovely landscapes and off road riding.
Any advice from those of you who with year round experience would be great.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Now almost all our income is internet based, we are on the verge of relocating from West Wales to Brittany. Having lived here for over 20 years, the recent run of soggy summers, and winters which switch between rain and frost, has got us down. We're hoping to find somewhere with shorter winters, better summers and less rain but reading the posts on some threads I am beginning to wonder if Brittany is any better!

We have horses so need a climate where they will be comfortable, and I don't like it too hot either, so a northern climate is fine. The rainfall stats for Brittany show half the rainfall we have here but I need reasurance that it actually is drier day to day and we won't just be moving to a windy permadrizzle zone!

We are totally flexible on location but have been thinking of the Pontivy region, for the lovely landscapes and off road riding.
Any advice from those of you who with year round experience would be great.

Well almost year round - been here since May 2011. It's definitely drier but not much, but it tends to rain and not give the "wet air" you can get in Wales and Ireland. It's warmer - the further inland you go the hotter the summer will be; we saw 31C last year for a couple of days but friends nearer Pontivy saw higher temperatures. The hours of daylight are longer than the UK - and as we are 1-hour different in time you can get sunshine at 11:00pm in the summer. Conversely in winter it doesn't get light until 9:00 am.

This winter we did get a couple of weeks of frost down to -5 or more but it was shortlived and winter was pretty mild.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well almost year round - been here since May 2011. It's definitely drier but not much, but it tends to rain and not give the "wet air" you can get in Wales and Ireland. It's warmer - the further inland you go the hotter the summer will be; we saw 31C last year for a couple of days but friends nearer Pontivy saw higher temperatures. The hours of daylight are longer than the UK - and as we are 1-hour different in time you can get sunshine at 11:00pm in the summer. Conversely in winter it doesn't get light until 9:00 am.

This winter we did get a couple of weeks of frost down to -5 or more but it was shortlived and winter was pretty mild.

Cheers
Thanks for your reply. 'Wet air' is a good description of what we get. I don't mind some rain - keeps things fresh and green. Wales is very beautiful, but apart from Spring, when it's usually dry, we often get long grey periods where things never seem to dry off despite a constant breeze. I'm sure it never used to be as bad, maybe it's global warming or perhaps I just spend more time outside now.

It may be more sensible to move over later in the year and rent for a bit while we try to work out excactly where we would like to settle, though our 2 horses complicate things somewhat as we will have to find a pace to rent where they can also be accommodated.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It may be more sensible to move over later in the year and rent for a bit while we try to work out excactly where we would like to settle, though our 2 horses complicate things somewhat as we will have to find a pace to rent where they can also be accommodated.
Most French moves seem to take place prior to beginning of September so that everyone is settled after the extended holidays. If you are buying then be prepared for a 3-month delay after signing the agreement (compromis) to actual occupation and it can be longer in July and August.

Renting unfurnished is easier as furnished tend to be holiday lets - as far as horses are concerned I'll ask our English gardner, he has a small holding not far from Pontivy and I'll see him next week. There are plenty of equestrian places around so probably not a big problem

A bientot

·
Administrator
49,390 Posts
Finding a place for the horses should pose fewer problems than finding a place for yourselves. There are lots of horse farms throughout France and plenty of places advertise box stalls and boarding for horses. Just about any place you see more than one or two horses in a field probably has some sort of boarding facilities.

Renting a place where you can have horses is a bit dodgier, but if you buy a place with some land, there are very few rules against having horses, donkeys (in our case) or whatever on your own land as long as they have some sort of shelter from the elements. The horses need to be chipped for identification purposes and registered with the national Haras once they're "resident" in France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
51 Posts
Very glad to here this. I will be moving to France, either Brittany or lower Normandy, as soon as I am able. I hope to get a job helping the older generation with cleaning, meal preparation or anything else they need as I am a qualified carer.
Is Brittany or normandy better for horses? They seem very similar. I'm looking to having a small longere with a few acres for my two horses. I also seem to be spoilt for choice at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.