Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i cant seem to find a definitive release date for uae for this, anyone know? some places are even saying next year?

·
Banned
38 Posts
Since xbox one is released on 22 November, it would probably take a max of 1 week to reach UAE.

If it takes longer (which i highly doubt) you can use aramex shop and ship

·
Registered
92 Posts
Might not have an official release here yet (which will be set by Microsoft) but very likely they'll be available here on the 'grey' market maybe a week after.

I've found this is a terrible time to buy any gadgets though, the sellers know they are desired and so can charge whatever they want. Also my bro once bought a PS2 that was NTSC, whilst most games sold here are PAL so caused issues there, especially when he went back to the UK.

I am planning on getting the PS4 but will probably just wait and get it when I head to the UK for New Year.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I am planning on getting the PS4 but will probably just wait and get it when I head to the UK for New Year.
That is a good plan, I'm hoping to land one off of the black friday / cyber monday deals if possible ... xbox screwed the pooch with their used games policy, personally would stay away ...

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I read that xbox one will be region free. I'm not sure about the PS4
Well the PS3 has been region free with a caveat ... mine is an American unit, but the games here are Europe region, just meant that I had to open a second account with Sony. So when I get games from the states, I use the older account, for games from here I use the new one.

From everything I have read, it will be the same for the PS4 ...

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm pretty sure Sony said no region restrictions, and Microsoft did as well....well, after when they did the various uturns to rescue their disastrous launch. Microsoft are limiting the countries hey first release in, there are a handful of European countries who won't get it at launch, so any that get here will probably be overpriced. Better to get in the UK.

A number of shops here are getting the PS4 and from what they've said when I enquirer they're getting European models and on euro launch, so PS may have a head start out here. I have Xbox 360, but I hated the original XBox One policies (region locking, 24 hour online checking, DRM, mandatory Kinect inclusion, massive focus on TV integration). They have backtracked on most of it, but I have little interest in Kinect, and the TV integration is of no interest to me, especially not out here, and I'm not sure that I trust Microsoft not to backtrack more so I'm more likely to go PS next gen. Plus Major Nelson is a complete tool and the fact that they employ someone like hi makes me not like them....!

Saying that though, whilst I still have a preorder in the UK with Amazon (and cancelled my XBOne preorder!) I may just wait until next year and see how they pan out. GTAV will keep me going for a good few months and there's not really any release titles that are blowing me away. Might be worth asking in Geekay if they intend getting any in.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It seems games currently being manufactured for the Xbox 360 are coming up region-free (the bf just bought GTA here, a Dutch version that works on my US Xbox), but sadly it looks likes the PS4 is coming up roses compared to the Xbox one...

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it will be available very fast here after official release - there are so many kids that will like to play new games :)

·
Banned
38 Posts
Sorry to bring this old post back up.

It seems the official release date for ps4 in dubai is December 13th, which is retarded in my opinion, since it is region free and you can get one using Aramex shop n ship... A month earlier.. and still get it here weeks before release date..

I feel like I got scammed by a certain famous gaming store in Dubai, since I was told I would be one of the first people to get the ps4 in dubai If I preordered, which I did, except that I do not see a difference in price if I had ordered it online (including shipping)

I don't get the point of pre-ordering If the store employees lie to you and tell you that you would get it at most a week after U.S/EU official release date... (They are using their lack of knowledge as an excuse to sell you more)

There are currently people who are ordering ps4s online and selling em to rich kids for double the price on certain websites, and the funny part is, they are selling a lot.

Since Xbox one is released after ps4, I'm sure you are better off ordering it online. or you might have to wait till 2014 to get it.

Price difference would be hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
You might yet get the system before the official release date. Just because it's a large/reputed gaming store doesnt mean they might not tap into the grey import market and fulfill orders.

p.s: not saying that is the case, just saying it is a a possibility....

·
Registered
418 Posts
There are early reports of lots of faulty machine. There are over 200 angry reviews on Amazon US about their machines dying. It's early days; there are no official stories and it may be a firmware issue and the consoles not actually dead, but it might be a blessing to not have a US one and have to get it back if it's faulty! I know 200 out of the hundreds of thousands they have shipped is small, but that's just one seller, and an online one.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: PlayStation 4: Launch Edition

There are a lot of non-verified by Amazon feedback though, don't know why anyone would put those on there if they didn't buy them from Amazon! The cynic in me wonders if that's a bit dodgy.....!

I have one pre-ordered in the UK but won't be able to collect until Xmas, and if the stories are true and there are a large number of faulty units I'll cancel my UK pre-order and wait until I can get one out here.

I was told by Geekay that the first batch they have will be the European launch (29/11) but they're all pre-ordered so now they're taking pre-orders for the official UAE launch on 13/12. 50% cash up front to pre-order. I didn't actually ask if that guarantees you one but from how the guy said it I assumed you would. That would really be taking the **** if you have to pay up front and still don't get one!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, hopefully. The forums are going crazy with Xbox fanboys stirring it up as well....! I was glad that the European launch is a few weeks later as the US can identify all the problems first! :D

I do still think it may be better to get one out here though. Cheaper as well (than the UK). It's £349 (2066 AED) for the console in the UK and here it works out at £290 (1699 AED). They're *supposed* to be region free so hopefully games from all regions will work (and I'll be able to set up a UK account!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey,

As far as I know there's no official release date yet for Xbox one in the UAE, but I am assuming it will be officially released in 2014 for the UAE.

For me, I won't take a risk and buy it online, as I will buy it from here, because of the warranty as the first edition is known with problems.

However, some shops in the UAE started to sell PS4 U.S. Version for around Dh 3,000 without warranty of course, but as I mentioned earlier I won't buy it until it is officially released in the UAE, which will be in Dec. 13 because of warranty.

PS4 is region free, and it will work in any country as it is 100-240v.

Hope this explains for you. :)

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Just saw the newsletter from Jadopado, the PS4 is on there now. But to say it's pricey at above 2K USD would be an understatement ...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts