Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to obtain French citizenship I'd contacted the proper departments in Paris, for processing my documents. Lately, (it's a three year wait) I thought I'd consult a French Immigration lawyer. I have written four of them. Only one responded, saying he knew nothing about immigration to France, only to the U.S. Below I quote the general email I had written. I'm wondering if I'm getting no response because I've done the work and they're unable to help? Or, if I've made some horrid faux-pas that although glaring, I don't see? Any thoughts are helpful. -Thank you.

"I'm attempting to acquire a Certificate of French Nationality. I have filed a petition with the Justice minister, court of appeals of Paris. I provided them with (1) My birth certificate -Swiss. (2) My father's birth certificate -French. (3) A marriage certificate of my parents,certified by city hall from the 6th arrondisement of Paris. (4)A document reflecting property owned in the United States. (5) A photocopy of my passport. (6)Two passport sized photos. I am a naturalized American Citizen. The response from the court of appeals is stamped August 15, 2018. Dossier no.:XXXXXXXXX-2018. Their response said it was likely a three year wait for them to examine my documents. Would I benefit from retaining an immigration lawyer or should I let the French bureaucracy unfold at its own pace? "

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Did you send the letter in French or English?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Just pointing out the obvious. Immigration lawyers deal with immigration not citizenship.

Don't you just need a normal French civil attorney. Or whatever the equivalent is?

·
Administrator
48,762 Posts
If you're going for a CNF you aren't dealing with either immigration nor with naturalization (i.e. "obtaining" French citizenship). If you're claiming it through your father it means you are already French and just need the documents to prove that fact. I don't believe there is anything any attorney can really do for you here. Either you have the paperwork to prove your citizenship or you don't.

And in any event, there is nothing an attorney can do to speed up the process. Three years isn't unusual for processing this kind of claim.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
In an effort to obtain French citizenship I'd contacted the proper departments in Paris, for processing my documents. Lately, (it's a three year wait) I thought I'd consult a French Immigration lawyer. I have written four of them. Only one responded, saying he knew nothing about immigration to France, only to the U.S. Below I quote the general email I had written. I'm wondering if I'm getting no response because I've done the work and they're unable to help? Or, if I've made some horrid faux-pas that although glaring, I don't see? Any thoughts are helpful. -Thank you.

"I'm attempting to acquire a Certificate of French Nationality. I have filed a petition with the Justice minister, court of appeals of Paris. I provided them with (1) My birth certificate -Swiss. (2) My father's birth certificate -French. (3) A marriage certificate of my parents,certified by city hall from the 6th arrondisement of Paris. (4)A document reflecting property owned in the United States. (5) A photocopy of my passport. (6)Two passport sized photos. I am a naturalized American Citizen. The response from the court of appeals is stamped August 15, 2018. Dossier no.:XXXXXXXXX-2018. Their response said it was likely a three year wait for them to examine my documents. Would I benefit from retaining an immigration lawyer or should I let the French bureaucracy unfold at its own pace? "
It is currently a very long process to get your CNF from overseas and in the order of 2-3 years. I doubt you have any hope of speeding up the process because there are lots of people in the same situation as yourself and AFAIK not one of them has been able to do so. As I understand it, 3 years is the maximum time expected provided no issues arise. Since they have notified you they clearly have accepted your dossier, which is a very good sign especially since it is dated August 2018, so approximately 18 months ago. I would not at this stage opt for a lawyer to act for you as it is very likely that you could receive your CNF earlier than they could get a result for you and intervention by a lawyer at this stage could actually delay things further.

Edit: Sorry Bev, just saw your post and, of course you and Nick Z are correct, it is not a matter for an immigration lawyer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all, for your responses. Your perspective and observations are extremely helpful. Berkinet, I sent my documents to Paris with a very respectful letter written in French, edited by my aunt who is French to avoid any gaffs. To the lawyers i wrote in English.
At any rate, Your responses here give me hope, and I'll stop thrashing at windmills until I get a response from France.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Outcome?

Hi,

Did you end up getting your certificate? How long did it ultimately take? Any advice for someone in almost exactly the same shoes you were? i.e. nationality by lineage, considering hiring attorney. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts