Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for IELTS General Test.

Task 2 – Required 250 words
In many countries, the amount of crime is increasing.
What do you think are the main causes of crime?
How can we deal with those causes?
[Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.]

Answer:
In many of the third world countries, newspaper carry reports on increasing crime rates. The phenomena is not restricted to such poor nations but recent spat of terrorism and migrant crisis has given rise to crime even in west. Understanding the root-causes of increase in crime leads to formation of sustainable solutions for countering the crime menace which is troubling governments throughout the world.

Increasing criminal activities in developing nations could primarily be attributed to majority of population living in poverty. Lack of income-generating opportunities for youth who comprise bulk of the population in these countries couples with a weak law enforcement and justice system is forcing these individuals to engage in criminal activities to feed their families. Widening income inequality is another prime root cause of increase in crime in many countries. Semi-skilled and blue collar workers have hardly seen any growth in their earnings whereas white collar are often rewarded with better compensation.

Fighting crime in the affected countries not just stabilizes law and order, but also improves living standards of the communities. An important initiative that governments can focus on is launching skill-development programs for adults in poor communities to engage the unemployed youth in productive activities. Combined with increased focus on education and human capital development, these skills development programs have far-reaching advantages for the communities. On the other side, governments also need to enhance minimum wage to a level where widening income inequality is curtailed.

While recent spat of crime in western countries is mainly driven by geo-politics, developing countries can take cue from their western counterparts in policy decisions such as human capital development and income levels to fight the primary root-causes of increasing crime.

Task 1 – Required 150 words
You are going to another country to study. You would like to do a part-time job while you are studying, so you want to ask a friend who lives there for some help.
Write a letter to this friend. In your letter
-give details of your study plans
-explain why you want to get a part time job
-suggest how your friend could help you find a job

Answer:

Dear John,

I am excited to inform you that I have secured a place in MBA program at Sydney Business School. The program starts in fall of this year and I am already making arrangement to move to Sydney by first week of October. Since you have now been settled in Sydney for years, I though you would be the best person for advice on the living expenses outside the University and how to get a part-time job.

The 2-year MBA program at North Campus is designed in such a way that allows candidates at least twenty hours a week for part-time work. I learnt on the school website that the regulations allow weekly twenty hours part-time work during a degree program. During my research on the program, I found that living in Sydney is expensive and total cost ranges between $1,500 and $2,000 a month. While I have saved sufficient money to fund tuition fee for the program, I have decided to get a part-time job to fund my living expenses. Since you have been associated in a reputed accounting firm for the past few years, I would appreciate if you could circulate my profile to your network for a part-time consulting role involving financial analysis and report-writing. I have already forwarded you my detailed profile to your email. I believe the average compensation for this role should cover my monthly living expenses.

I really look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks.​

1 - 1 of 1 Posts