Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi OZ experts,

I know that PR is the preferable way to immigrate, but could someone highlight what are the main drawbacks of living on WP initially for maybe 2-3 yrs, if one has to compare options.

Thanks & Cheers,
Kapil

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
None. People need to work anyway and WP in Aus enables you to bypass the PR queue to a large degree.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange. I would expect medical benefits and/or free schooling for kids etc. NOT to be extended to non PRs.
Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Strange. I would expect medical benefits and/or free schooling for kids etc. NOT to be extended to non PRs.
Any suggestions?
They aren't. You don't qualify for medicare and in many states, you have to pay to send your child to a public school (NSW and WA come to mind) if you are not a citizen or PR.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
BTW, all meant to say that if you cannot get PR now then there is not much wrong with working on a WP.

WP is easier and helps you get PR at a later stage. Of course a WP is lower than a PR in value.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are some serious drawbacks of being on a WP versus being on a PR. Having gone through this myself, I'll list down a few -

(I assume you mean a 457 when you say WP)

1. If you lose your job on a WP, you have 90 days to find another sponsor or pack up and leave. On a PR, there are no such restrictions.

2. On a WP you cannot claim Child Care Benefit or more importantly Child Care Rebate. If your child goes to school and has to attend before-school or after school-school care, you will typically pay double of what a PR holder may pay

3. Higher insurance premiums for WP holders. This point is debatable though as you may save some money due to medicare levy exemption. In my case, I pay more insurance premium on a WP that if I were on a PR.

4. Very difficult to switch jobs on a PR for most people. Although spouses are legally entitled to work on a WP dependent visa, getting a job is easier said than done.

5. On a WP you have restrictions on he kind of property you may buy. There are different (disadvantageous) tax implications as well.

... and a few more. I might pitch in again as and when I remember the Ouch'es :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts