Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iam hearing so many hard luck stories from friends about all the people that have spend 1000,s of dollars on permanent residency and are have a real hard time finding a job.i know of 3 people that have done all the medical check, police check and paid out all that money and now they are being messed about because canadian citizens have priority over canadian residents. even if you are better qualified,,,you dont stand a chance because you are not canadian. i know a long distance driver, a machinist, a book keeper, and a bricklayer all in the same boat. permanent residents and on the dole. wake up canada

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry you are having a hard time - but you could be in UK and all the immigrants getting your job instead!!!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
iam hearing so many hard luck stories from friends about all the people that have spend 1000,s of dollars on permanent residency and are have a real hard time finding a job.i know of 3 people that have done all the medical check, police check and paid out all that money and now they are being messed about because canadian citizens have priority over canadian residents. even if you are better qualified,,,you dont stand a chance because you are not canadian. i know a long distance driver, a machinist, a book keeper, and a bricklayer all in the same boat. permanent residents and on the dole. wake up canada
And who are you hearing this from? Have these so called friends lived in and experienced being turned down for jobs here? Firstly I do not believe Canadian Citizens are given preference over new immigrants and they do not have state sanctioned priority. If an employer selects an applicant who's a citizen that's their prerogative. IMO any employer who does not select the best candidate is not worth working for. No-one is promised a rose garden when coming to Canada. You have to stand shoulder to shoulder with Canadians when applying for work. PR's have to compete for jobs with cradle and plastic Canadians. And who decides objectively that someone is less/better qualified. So please explain to me why Canadian residents should not be given preference over immigrants, if they are of equal or better qualifications.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sinking Ships

i will be landing in england..buying a car,,and driving to germany..
Best of luck - most of Europe is sinking as well as UK. Greece is taking extraordinary measures to try and stop its recession devaluing the euro at the moment. At least Canada has good bank control and is not in dire straits like UK & Europe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we are going to germany because my wife still has civil servant status there. she took 2 years unpaid holiday to see if we could make a new life here. she is a language teacher with 18 years teaching experience in germany and she can only work as a TA here. as a bricklayer, i can work almost anywhere, at least she will have her pride back in europe and do the job she spent 11 years studying to do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi,
I think it is a bit of sour grapes and bad timing which is making you feel you do.
If the global economy hadnt spiralled downwards, half the problems woudnt be there luckily canada didnt suffer like usa and europe.If you really wanted to be in canada you would do all you could to stay there.I have relatives who moved to canada sponsored by companies and yes they had to do the funny shifts, short runs parked up waiting for a load, short time, but they stuck it out and settled and are doing well and are now fully integrated into the community and the canadian way of life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i havent had work for 4 weeks. i still have to pay $1650 a month rent plus utilities and feed 3 mouths. i dont get EI because i am a temporary worker. the reason i have to rent is because my SIN # starts with a 9 and i cannot get a mortgage or finance of any sort. i had to pay cash for everything that we own here. the money i managed to save in the summer is is going down faster than a whores draws. so if you want to taste sour grapes..swap with me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Read the postings on any forum dealing with Canada going back years and years: Canadians favouring Canadians over immigrants is a common concern. Why shouldn't a Canadian employer favour a Canadian educated/trained applicant. It's human nature. I'm not excusing it, nor am I supporting it...it is what it is. Just means an immigrant has to work harder to prove themself. Such is history...such is life.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Reading all the posts here....It does leave a sour taste in your mouth when things dont go to plan..human reaction. I remember queing for my SIN number with about 20 or 30 immigrants who didnt speak a word of english...(Interpretors of every language were being called) They were all getting their pictures taken and getting their SIN numbers and I (Canadian born) was treated very poorly..according to them, they didnt know what to do with me. Yes it did make me mad. It happened and that is the truth of the matter. I also was questioned as to why I was living in Canada???...therefore had to go to immigration and get the head guy to write a letter and stamp it. He actually was dumfounded by the whole thing along with myself LOL...I being Canadian born was treated very badly but I fought for my birthright and my rights and everything turned out okay. Its not all rosy but everyone has their right to state there case and what went wrong. At least then, people wanting to go over at least has the foresight of what COULD happen. comments shouldnt be taken personally.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Reading all the posts here....It does leave a sour taste in your mouth when things dont go to plan..human reaction. I remember queing for my SIN number with about 20 or 30 immigrants who didnt speak a word of english...(Interpretors of every language were being called) They were all getting their pictures taken and getting their SIN numbers and I (Canadian born) was treated very poorly..according to them, they didnt know what to do with me. Yes it did make me mad. It happened and that is the truth of the matter. I also was questioned as to why I was living in Canada???...therefore had to go to immigration and get the head guy to write a letter and stamp it. He actually was dumfounded by the whole thing along with myself LOL...I being Canadian born was treated very badly but I fought for my birthright and my rights and everything turned out okay. Its not all rosy but everyone has their right to state there case and what went wrong. At least then, people wanting to go over at least has the foresight of what COULD happen. comments shouldnt be taken personally.
good or bad, everyone has the right to tell their experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know..the canadian way of working is at least 20 years behind europe. if you have a good idea about how to do something, they disregard it and say,,we have always done it like this. and they will not listen to ideas because they think it is critisism. canada is a very nice country but the way of thinking here is very primitive.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
It does leave a sour taste in your mouth when things dont go to plan.

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your plan. There is an incredible amount of information to be had for those planning immigration. If you don't do your research properly then you have no-one to blame but yourself when things go tits-up. Nothing is hidden from the immigrant.
It is what it is.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It does leave a sour taste in your mouth when things dont go to plan.

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your plan. There is an incredible amount of information to be had for those planning immigration. If you don't do your research properly then you have no-one to blame but yourself when things go tits-up. Nothing is hidden from the immigrant.
It is what it is.
I did my research before I went back to Canada and even got a letter from the Canadian Embassy in London England stating that I didnt have to go through Immigration process LOL......it was shown etc etc.....and then only after getting an official in Ontario to stamp another letter, did I finally get my SIN number.
I am very sure GOD did laugh at all the stupidity!!! LOL

·
Registered
210 Posts
i havent had work for 4 weeks. i still have to pay $1650 a month rent plus utilities and feed 3 mouths. i dont get EI because i am a temporary worker. the reason i have to rent is because my SIN # starts with a 9 and i cannot get a mortgage or finance of any sort. i had to pay cash for everything that we own here. the money i managed to save in the summer is is going down faster than a whores draws. so if you want to taste sour grapes..swap with me.[/Q

That is one of the reasons why I have decided to go down the federal skilled route it takes longer and when we land as a family, the problems we will have are different to yours, and we know there will be some, luckily I have familyin Canada who landed in 1979 who will walk me through the maze of problems and hurdles we have to go through.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good luck to you is all i can say. coming here is like going back in time. canada is 7 hours behind england in real time but 20 years behind england in everything else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my landlord still insists on post dated cheques. i tried to explain to him that an online transfer on the first of every month is more convenient, but he cant see the benefit of having that money on his account without going to the bank with a cheque every month. i have 2 bank accounts here..one personal and one business..when i want to transfer money from one to the other...i have to write myself a cheque,,,go to the bank,,,and pay it in because the online banking system here doesnt let me do it online...i hear that someone will invent the wheel here soon...LOL that will stir things up

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
my landlord still insists on post dated cheques. i tried to explain to him that an online transfer on the first of every month is more convenient, but he cant see the benefit of having that money on his account without going to the bank with a cheque every month. i have 2 bank accounts here..one personal and one business..when i want to transfer money from one to the other...i have to write myself a cheque,,,go to the bank,,,and pay it in because the online banking system here doesnt let me do it online...i hear that someone will invent the wheel here soon...LOL that will stir things up
Firstly it's your landlord's prerogative and it is quite normal to require post-dated cheques for rental. If you were a landlord then you would require it also, if you understood the legal implications for a "bounced" cheque.

I don't know what bank you deal with but I deal with 3 Canadian banks with multi-accounts in each and I can easily transfer between accounts. If you are attempting to transfer between an incorporated company account and a personal account, you are not legally permitted to do so. From the bank's perspective and legally it is identical as allowing you to transfer from my account to your account.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is very interesting to read comments here everyone has different experiences and a broad range of views are needed. We are hoping to move to Canada in the next year or so we are English but have lived in France for the past 2 1/2 years and I can honestly say you will be very very surprised if you think Europe is forward thinking and an easy place to live (being in France is like living back in the 1970s) especially with regards to banking - cheques are very popular and credit cards are extremely rare so be prepared for similar issues to those you have faced in Canada. The economy has taken a serious nosedive and in France and Germany there have been many job losses due to the economic slowdown - I know this from the experiences of my friends in both these countries. I understand that things have not worked out for you but a word of caution and don't expect everything to be rosy over in Europe - it most certainly isn't!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.