Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are booked in to see a number of properties next week. One of the properties we are seeing is a huge with 6 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I was wondering if it was possible to change one of the bedrooms to a kitchen and provide a separate entrance, would we need planning permission to get this done?

·
Registered
552 Posts
It so depends on the area, and the attitude of the town hall. We live in the Campo in an 150 year old farmhouse. Our townhall couldn't give a toss about rural properties unless it becomes visually obvious that things are being "changed". When asked about replacing a decrepit chimmney a neighbour was told by the clerk with a smile...Why come here...we don't sell bricks! Just use common sense and ask the locals what might be, they know the scene.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
Absolutely - the planning rules here are completely different from the UK. Whether you get your permit depends entirely on the whim of the Mayor and the city architect, and they can change their minds retrospectively after you've done the work!

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Be aware that whatever you do you may need either a major or minor building licence. That is separate from planning permission.

Town halls l have varying criteria as to when a licence is require. Some (Benalmádena used to one such) require one even for re-tiling a kitchen (friend was fined 300 euros for doing just that )whilst where I live does not unless structural alterations are being made. I completely re-fitted a kitchen and did not require one.

But ask because it varies.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Isn't it time the requirements for these licences, which, in the case of the minor ones are only a money making exercise, were standardised?
I appreciate the need for licences for structural and major works, but some of these are bordering on the ridiculous!
I imagine Spanish residents laugh at us and do what they want anyway!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts