Age 31
SOL 2 313112 - assessed by TRA!

Hubby
Painter and decorator for 8 years - assessed by TRA
U.S high school diploma
US citizen
SOL 1 332211

We have a 1 year old daughter.

I have read that a person can apply for state sponsorship, and when they get accepted, they get 5 points.

for myself I only get 60 points

and hubby only has 45 points.

so how do others do it where they apply for SS to get that 5 points to add to their 60 points???

also, what are our options?

yes i can try for IELTS and try to score at least a 7 in EACH band (CRAP!) to get the 10 points.

OR try to find an employer to sponsor me to add to their existing IT support staff (not very likely!!!)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I would take the IELTS and apply simultaneously to NSW. But the question is whether NSW will allow you to apply for sponsorship with the 60 points only. (I don't know, I haven't looked at the site). Also, believe me when I tell you, if you're a native English speaker, getting all 7's on the IELTS is a piece of cake!

Whatever you decide you'll have to act fast as the whole migration system will be revamped come July 1st!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would take the IELTS and apply simultaneously to NSW. But the question is whether NSW will allow you to apply for sponsorship with the 60 points only. (I don't know, I haven't looked at the site). Also, believe me when I tell you, if you're a native English speaker, getting all 7's on the IELTS is a piece of cake!

Whatever you decide you'll have to act fast as the whole migration system will be revamped come July 1st!
wow!!

thanks stormgal!!!

Really?!? well yes born and raise from London, UK but my English dictionary and grammar is crap!! LOL

the next time to sit IELTS here in Texas is Sept 9

Yes I am aware of the July 1st change,

my brother is in melbourne on a 475 visa. he will help out to pay the $300 for the TRA skills assessment for my I.T occupation - plus he has his AUS bank account :)

my plan:

get my skills assessed by TRA BEFORE Sept 9 2012
Sept 9 - take IELTS exam
Hopefully passing that
then lodging the new EOI application
Hopefully get invited to lodge the new 190 visa?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one other thing, can I apply for VIC or SA state sponsorship with just having 60 points? my occupation is on the MAIN SOL 2 list, but does my occupation have to be on the SOL for either of those states

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
one other thing, can I apply for VIC or SA state sponsorship with just having 60 points? my occupation is on the MAIN SOL 2 list, but does my occupation have to be on the SOL for either of those states

For VIC yes, but not too sure about SA. As long as you meet the requirements on the specific State's website, you'll be okay. I had applied for VIC sponsorship having only 60 points and it came back successful within only 13 days! (But I never used it, I later wrote VIC to cancel it - another long story).

And yes, your occupation definitely has to be on the specific State's SOL. Hope it works out! :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For VIC yes, but not too sure about SA. As long as you meet the requirements on the specific State's website, you'll be okay. I had applied for VIC sponsorship having only 60 points and it came back successful within only 13 days! (But I never used it, I later wrote VIC to cancel it - another long story).

And yes, your occupation definitely has to be on the specific State's SOL. Hope it works out! :)
CRAP! I think I read somewhere VIC took off 313112 off their SOL :'(
oh well.
I guess our only way in is to get 7 in EACH band of the IELTS, get the 70 points and take it from there, oh yes and obviously get a positvie TRA skills assessment for my occupation.

I wonder if I can apply for SA SS but under

263111 Computer Network and Systems Engineer and with 60 points?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I wonder if I can apply for SA SS but under

263111 Computer Network and Systems Engineer and with 60 points?
Unfortunately, 263111 for South Australia is under "special conditions applies" . This basically means that you have to have gone to school in SA to choose that occupation.

Now Western Australia is taking 313112 if you're interested, but I hear you have to have the full 65 points to apply. If you plan to apply under the current system, there is no way around your taking the IELTS at this point. Even if it means driving to a different State - maybe Lousiana or Oklahoma to see if they're giving the IELTS at an earlier date (you can check this information and register easily online). Or maybe you can cross the border to Mexico :p ROTFLOL, now, that would make for a fantastic story once you get to Oz. LOL :D

Seriously, if you plan on doing the EOI, maybe it would probably be prudent to wait for the new occupation list. Of course, this is just my personal advice as every other person's here on this forum.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, 263111 for South Australia is under "special conditions applies" . This basically means that you have to have gone to school in SA to choose that occupation.

Now Western Australia is taking 313112 if you're interested, but I hear you have to have the full 65 points to apply. If you plan to apply under the current system, there is no way around your taking the IELTS at this point. Even if it means driving to a different State - maybe Lousiana or Oklahoma to see if they're giving the IELTS at an earlier date (you can check this information and register easily online). Or maybe you can cross the border to Mexico :p ROTFLOL, now, that would make for a fantastic story once you get to Oz. LOL :D

Seriously, if you plan on doing the EOI, maybe it would probably be prudent to wait for the new occupation list. Of course, this is just my personal advice as every other person's here on this forum.
stormgal; you are by far very helpful
thanks for that.

my brother is on his 457 visa and plans to apply for his PR this November (not sure on the timelines going from 457 visa to PR), I could WAIT for him to become PR and then have him sponsor me as his sister to come over (again, not sure how long this could take), but it may be quicker if I got my IELTS AND a positive skills assessment with TRA and lodge EOI myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.