Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've posted up on here before but to refresh I'm now 22 and my girlfriends parents own a house in France (Normandy).

Ultimately, I'd like to live in France permanently at some point in my life, but now isn't the time!

Luckily, I have a job that really only requires me to be 'at work' for a day a week, with the rest of the week working from home.

I finish my part-time degree in May next year, and like the idea of living at the house in Normandy from May-Sept or so, and using my motorbike to come over once a week from Dieppe to Newhaven (sounds easier than it is I assume!). I'd love to learn the language a little more as my girlfriends mum is fluent in French (French ancestry!)

Because of the remote working, I'd be fairly heavy on internet and because my girlfriends parents spend around 10 weeks a year there they don't have it currently.

I'm familiar with Skype for business calls, and the mobile forwarding - though I'm aware I'd need a French sim card.

Can anyone think of any issues I'll have with getting some form of internet on a monthly contract (I've found a dongle for 30E a month for 3GB, but would probably need more). And can you get a sim-only monthly contract like in England for an iPhone with data?

I know as long as you don't keep your car in another country for over 6 months you don't need to re-register it.

I'm trying to think of issues to dampen the excitement!.... So if anyone on here works from France for a company in England I would be interested to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Because of the remote working, I'd be fairly heavy on internet and because my girlfriends parents spend around 10 weeks a year there they don't have it currently.

I'm familiar with Skype for business calls, and the mobile forwarding - though I'm aware I'd need a French sim card.

Can anyone think of any issues I'll have with getting some form of internet on a monthly contract (I've found a dongle for 30E a month for 3GB, but would probably need more). And can you get a sim-only monthly contract like in England for an iPhone with data?

Will
First you can get sim-only phone service, just make sure your mobile is unlocked.

For Internet why not talk to the satellite companies? You can probably use the same service in France and England - talk to a company called Mayenne Satellite they are in Normandy and offer all sorts of sky-based services (Brit TV via Freesat or Sky)

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your comments :) I'll chat to one of the satellite companies next time I'm there, would be interested in seeing if theres any parity between costs here and there.

I assume a lot of people on here commute to England a few times a month for work? The strange conundrum is that even though Cabourg is within spitting distance of England (slight exaggeration) it'd be quicker to commute from Milan or Malaga due to the slowness of the Ferries!

I'm still working out feasibility with regards to the Caen - Portsmouth / Dieppe - Newhaven or Calais - Dover.. Its a little disheartening as you're looking at a 6 hour journey at the least!

Any re-assurance would be great :rolleyes:

Will

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
If you want sim-only phone service, take a look at the offer from Free.fr or BandYou (a "cheap" service of Bouygues). Both of them offer 20€ a month with unlimited calling to 20 countries plus 3 Gb of download. And there is no minimum subscription period.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I'm still working out feasibility with regards to the Caen - Portsmouth / Dieppe - Newhaven or Calais - Dover.. Its a little disheartening as you're looking at a 6 hour journey at the least!

Any re-assurance would be great :rolleyes:

Will
Dover/Calais is probably the quickest and cheapest - but check out the Brittany Ferries fast boat - Cherbourg/Portsmouth in three hours but not cheap.

Mayenne Satellite have a really good website BTW

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.