Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm new to this but it seems a lot of members get answers to their questions through posting here so I want to give it a go ...

... Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle workplace bullying, specifically in Dubai ? I have read numerous online articles regarding talking to H.R etc but none of that is working, and instead of handling the situation it always seems to get brushed under the carpet and forgotten about.

My situation is getting worse and worse and I'm really unhappy, a co-worker is persistently bullying me and I can't function in my role any more. I feel sick to think that tomorrow is unfortunately Sunday morning again and I'll have to endure another 5 days of him. I never used to be like this, please help ?

:(:(:(

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
If he insults you in any way, call the police. I've seen people get fined in court for calling someone an idiot.

EDIT - That is, of course, if he's an evil prick. If you're just being over-sensitive, don't do that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is a difficult one to advise on without knowing the full history. How many times have you seen HR to state that it always gets brushed under the carpet? Have you spoken to your line manager and explained the situation? If there have been several instances of visiting HR they shoud be keeping a record and seeing that situation is not being resolved. Dubai is like anywhere else in my experience, bullying is not acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If management and HR are unwilling to tackle the issue then you pretty much have 2 options:

1. Leave. This is the easiest option, but depending on your contract/circumstances could be problematic with labour bans etc. Research this before taking any action.

2. Stand up to the bully. Most bullies run a mile when given a dose of their own medicine. The outcome can be unpredictable and if management favour this person then it could have consequences.

Only you know the situation. It comes down to fighting back or walking away. Staying and doing nothing is a non-option in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
First, how exactly is he bullying you? It's hard to help when one doesn't know the exact situation.

Secondly, have you made "formal" complaints to HR? I've seen people from HR and senior management flat-out deny that they've ever been made aware of a situation simply because there was no way to trace it when it was being investigated.

Hope the issue is resolved in your favour as soon as possible.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you have an ethics team in your company or a whistleblowers hot line? Most comapnies have a way of reaching out if HR don't help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Prevent Bullying

Women are more frequently bullied than men. In fact, a survey by the Workplace Bullying Institute found that 62 percent of bullies were men and 58 percent of targets were women. The survey also revealed that the majority (68 percent) of bullying is same-gender harassment and that women bullies target women 80 percent of the time.

·
Registered
845 Posts
i was wondering too just what kind of bullying? is it verbal abuse? mental? has this guy threatened to physically hurt you? are you a woman and has there been any sexual abuse or misconduct?

also agree with pamela that you need to ensure the complaints to HR or anyone are formal. logged and in writing.

and if this guy has left you any abusive voicemails/emails/memos/childish notes then you need to keep that stuff as proof.

have any of your coworkers witnessed or overheard his bullying? would they stand up for you and act as a witness?

have you tried to stand up to him and if so, what was his response?

·
Registered
394 Posts
sorry to hear your situation OP, but you need to confront this a$$wipe straight, ask him to back off. you said he's a colleague, so i assume, not your boss. let him know that his actions/remarks ain't funny and they are offensive. I know its hard to confront a situation like this, but looks like there may be no other recourse apart from quitting your job, which you shouldn't. I would straight bark back at him, but that's me.

Never be silent to his degrading comments or laugh it off. Say, that's not funny, very sternly. stand up to the person, this ain't high school, if he gets physical, he will go to jail.

An article in Time magazine talks about workplace bullying: When Good Things Happen To Bad People: Disturbing News About Workplace Bullies | TIME.com

Snippet from the article:
“Bullies often leverage the fear and intimidation of their behavior to achieve their personal goals and improve their job performance,” the authors reiterate.

Any of those outcomes, of course, only serve to embolden the bully and imperil the bullied, which is yet another reason for victims to speak out. If they don’t take action—as difficult or scary as it can be—the bully in the next cubicle or work station could soon enough be in charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A 2011 Monster Poll indicated that 83% of Europeans, 65% of people in the Americas and 55% of workers in Asia had been subjected to physically or emotional bullying.The costs are huge. This has to stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m going through something similar at work at the moment and it’s nice to see such solidarity here.
My experience is definitely on the lower end of the scale; one girl at work is giving me trouble and spreading stories that I caused a conflict with her. I still don’t know what I’m supposed to have done, but I get the silent treatment, left out from social events, and anyone I’ve told at work has been reluctant to show support. I didn’t realise that this was bullying until I told the story to friends outside work, who were appalled. I’m not going to take it any further, but it’s helpful to know that there are people going through the same thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my experience, WorkSafeBC provides little comfort when investigating Workplace Bullying claims. One of the investigator stated that, "If we can't control bullying in our workplace how do you think we can do anything about your wife's?" Needless to say I asked him to be removed from the case.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It's important to strike fear into your victim. I like the twisting the nipple while demanding their lunch money approach.
I prefer swirlies... when you flip them upside down (to dunk their head in the toilet), the money comes out so no need to demand their money.... :fingerscrossed:

What gavtek says. And as it seems that you have to deal with a girl, you can start undermining her self confidence with some remarks on hair and/or clothes.
Yeah or call them fat.... also works with 'low testosterone having males' :tongue1:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

I'm new to this but it seems a lot of members get answers to their questions through posting here so I want to give it a go ...

... Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle workplace bullying, specifically in Dubai ? I have read numerous online articles regarding talking to H.R etc but none of that is working, and instead of handling the situation it always seems to get brushed under the carpet and forgotten about.

My situation is getting worse and worse and I'm really unhappy, a co-worker is persistently bullying me and I can't function in my role any more. I feel sick to think that tomorrow is unfortunately Sunday morning again and I'll have to endure another 5 days of him. I never used to be like this, please help ?

:(:(:(
Hi I am experiencing bullying at work like you. I reported it first to my line manager and then HR, but they have turned it around and said there must be something wrong with me as I'm the only one complaining. I am having a nightmare of a time. I can't believe this is happening to me at this age. He is senior than me and although I have proved he abuses me HR is wiping it under the carpet here too. I wonder whether it is the same company. It would not surprise me.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.