Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a special needs assistant who works with children with disabilities and my partner is a carpenter. Our dream is to move to France, we have limited knowledge of the language but are working on it. We are both in our mid 20`s, and with the limited jobs market here in Ireland, my partner is finding it impossible to work, i have a job in a school so we are ok for now. Just wondering is there trade jobs and jobs working with children in France?

·
Administrator
51,378 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I've moved your query to a thread of its own to see if we can attract a few more replies.

Unfortunately, I think you may be in much the same straights if you come to France as you are by remaining in Ireland - at least at the moment. For a trades person, like a carpenter, your partner would essentially be limited to working for English speaking expats until his French was reasonably good.

And you are likely to find that the French don't recognize "special needs" in the same way the "anglo-saxon" countries do. I've heard from a number of mothers who have children with special needs, and they pretty universally feel that the schools here don't do a very good job in this area. There's also the issue of breaking into the schools at all as a foreigner, as it is considered a "civil service" job here.

But perhaps other forum members will have some ideas for you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I've moved your query to a thread of its own to see if we can attract a few more replies.

Unfortunately, I think you may be in much the same straights if you come to France as you are by remaining in Ireland - at least at the moment. For a trades person, like a carpenter, your partner would essentially be limited to working for English speaking expats until his French was reasonably good.

And you are likely to find that the French don't recognize "special needs" in the same way the "anglo-saxon" countries do. I've heard from a number of mothers who have children with special needs, and they pretty universally feel that the schools here don't do a very good job in this area. There's also the issue of breaking into the schools at all as a foreigner, as it is considered a "civil service" job here.

But perhaps other forum members will have some ideas for you.
As a special needs (teaching) assistant, a category of school staff well established in Ireland and UK, your only realistic chance of employment is in British or US curriculum international schools, of which there are many in France. They usually recruit through their own websites, and occasionally through TES Jobs.
As Bev says, teachers in French state schools are still recruited centrally by the education ministry, and as civil servants they are allowed under EU law to discriminate against non-French nationals. I don't know if the same applies to any support staff - they may be recruited locally as general workers, without the trappings and privileges of a civil service job. In any case you will need local experience and fluent French. As you know, those studying French at Irish or UK uni normally spend a year in France working as FLA (foreign language assistant) in state schools, just as French students do the same in both countries. It may be possible to gain a similar post by applying to relevant French authorities. I've found Foreign Language Assistants in France - CIEP
I agree with Bev about the difficulty of finding work for your husband. With the contraction of expat market, and those staying put in France tightening their belt, it will be very challenging to find carpentry/joinery work, as there are many established tradesmen in France competing in ever shrinking market. It's the same in Spain, even though the market is bigger (but so are the number of people looking for work). It's truly frightening. Also to work, you need to be familiar with any local regulations (e.g. building), and comply with rules for self-employment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I am a special needs assistant who works with children with disabilities and my partner is a carpenter. Our dream is to move to France, we have limited knowledge of the language but are working on it. We are both in our mid 20`s, and with the limited jobs market here in Ireland, my partner is finding it impossible to work, i have a job in a school so we are ok for now. Just wondering is there trade jobs and jobs working with children in France?
Hi,

I'm English and had a real struggle to find work here in France. My gcses weren't worth a penny and I had to pass French exams 'CAP Petite Enfance' to be able to work in nursery schools. My French was fluent as I'd been here 15 years.

I did visit a bilingual creche where the head of staff wanted someone English-speaking and in childcare desperately. So that may be an option or a bilingual school. In major towns like Lyon or Paris you'll have more of a chance, but rent will be more expensive I guess.

I'm reading up a lot about special needs as one of my kids here is in difficulty. Honestly, France is way way behind the uk and Canada for kids with special needs. If it was easy I'd move back to the uk for that or move to Canada !!! Some parents of kids with special needs move to Belgium to get better care for their kids. But that's another issue ! Here in France I was told to drop English with my son...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why not SA?

Hi,

I'm English and had a real struggle to find work here in France. My gcses weren't worth a penny and I had to pass French exams 'CAP Petite Enfance' to be able to work in nursery schools. My French was fluent as I'd been here 15 years.

I did visit a bilingual creche where the head of staff wanted someone English-speaking and in childcare desperately. So that may be an option or a bilingual school. In major towns like Lyon or Paris you'll have more of a chance, but rent will be more expensive I guess.

I'm reading up a lot about special needs as one of my kids here is in difficulty. Honestly, France is way way behind the uk and Canada for kids with special needs. If it was easy I'd move back to the uk for that or move to Canada !!! Some parents of kids with special needs move to Belgium to get better care for their kids. But that's another issue ! Here in France I was told to drop English with my son...
Hi!

Why don't you try South Africa? Good living,lots of work and crime isn't that bad!
The only problem is the workpermit. You need special skills.:boxing:

Walter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.