Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there

It's been a long time I am away from this forum busy adjusting to my move to the US on a H1B. Although I am doing okay here, I want to really know what are the options for me to renew my Australian PR staying here.

Thanks

·
Registered
24,410 Posts
Hello there

It's been a long time I am away from this forum busy adjusting to my move to the US on a H1B. Although I am doing okay here, I want to really know what are the options for me to renew my Australian PR staying here.

Thanks
When was the last time you visited Australia after the grant and how long did you stay ?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't stay at all. I got down, spent a day, validated my visa & then went to the US. That's what I'd like to know. If there's something I could do now to save my visa, I would.

·
Registered
24,410 Posts
I couldn't stay at all. I got down, spent a day, validated my visa & then went to the US. That's what I'd like to know. If there's something I could do now to save my visa, I would.

Your PR allows you to reside in Australia permanently, but only allows you to travel in and out of Australia for five years (so for you, until July 2019). Up until your july 2019 date, you can re-enter Australia and stay as long as you like. But if you want to leave and re-enter after that date (or if you are still out of the country after that date) you'll need to apply for a Return Resident Visa (RRV). A five-year RRV simply requires that you've lived in Australia for two out of the previous five years, so as long as you've been in Australia that long, you should have no problems getting one.

So if you want to save your PR, you will have to stay in Australia for the next 2 years

Alternatively, you will have to apply for a waiver of this two year residency rule. You can generally get a waiver if you have strong ties to Australian. Strong ties can be business ties, employment ties, family ties or cultural ties. If you do not have these then you may not be granted an RRV.

Note that when you were granted a permanent visa under the skilled migration program is was because Australia wanted your skills. If the Department believes that you have little or no intention of living in Australia then they will not be granted an RRV and you may lose your PR.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts