Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

My husband and I are considering moving to the UK. He's American, and I'm Norwegian. He's working for himself and has his own business, and I was wondering if he can work in the UK while waiting for residency? I mean, can he just work as normal through his business?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
My understanding is that it's illegal to work in the UK without a work permit/visa, regardless of where the company is located... I'm certain that people have conducted business remotely as a visitor, but if you enter the UK and declare that you intend to be working, it will be problematic.

Hopefully someone can give you a more authoritative answer!

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
As you are Norwegian, an EEA national, as a family member he will have the right of residence and work as soon as you both move to UK and you start exercising treaty right, such as working. He should apply for EEA family permit to enter UK, and then get residence card when you start exercising EU treaty right. This is valid 5 years and specifically states he can work, run a business etc. Of course he will have to comply with legal and financial requirements associated with running a business, like any UK resident. He will have to register as self-employed with tax authorities (HMRC), complete yearly tax return (as well as filing one for IRS), and deal with certification, licensing or state registration as required. Or he may want to set up a limited company, for which there is a whole body of regulations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.