Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and looking for the advice of of you forum members who seem to have a wealth of knowledge and experience.

My partner and I wish to move to Lyon.

My starting point is to ask for any helpful pointers you could share with me as to job searching (i do speak french) and how to sort a CV. I know that these are two big questions but if anyone can help me explore either or both I would be eternally grateful. From reading many threads on here it seems that many people have either started their own business or retired and do not work. I am interested in hearing about everyone's experiences.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Moi - good evening - a little more info would be helpful - ages, education, work experience to date.

Lots of job vacancies are advertised on the internet, so that's a good enough place to start. But have you got enough funds to move with no job in sight? Easier to get a job if you actually live here.

CV - make sure it's checked by a native speaker, and add a picture.

Ian

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
If you drop by the Pole Emploi with your cv, tell them the position you're in, ask them to check over your cv.

I used to make a (small) living in the UK doing people's cv's, but here there are different expectations - & you need to find out what those are. The Pole Emploi or a local Job Agency are the best people to advise you.

H

·
Administrator
50,843 Posts
Also on your CV, make sure you set it up in the French format. The French employers don't mess much with any format they aren't familiar with. A French resume is much briefer than a CV - basically just lists your job titles and employers, plus any and all "qualifications." Include job descriptions only if not evident from the job titles and try to relate your jobs, qualifications and educational background to the closest French equivalents.

You might also want to take a look at the Europa pages on working in France: EUROPA - Work and business in the European Union

Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.