Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am thinking about applying to work as a Legal Secretary in Dubai.

By way of background I am a mature and very experienced legal secretary who works in Corporate Law.

I really want some information as to how it all works in reality e.g. if I fly over to Dubai for an interview will it be paid for and will I receive assistance with relocatin costs and finding an apartment?

All comments and advice very welcome!

Thank you in anticipation!

u04mft

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
have you looked to see whether "Legal Secretaries" exist here? If so have you looked at their wages?

·
Registered
113 Posts
expenses and relocation costs vary depending on the company and level of role. However its no longer consider a hardship country here so allowances which were considered perks 20 years ago are generally thin on the ground

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Many people are recruited via phone and skype interviews. For your role that is probably the more likely option. If offered a role, you will be flown over at the company's expense. The standard is that the company will provide you with housing for 1-3 months, and after that you find your own place. Depending on the company you may be offered additional relocation expenses, such as shipping, but for a legal secretary I think that would be unlikely. In terms of permanent housing, it's very unlikely the company will provide you with the housing but you will be given a housing allowance and it's up to you to spend it as you wish. The real difference is whether the company will advance you the housing allowance in 1-2 cheques for the year as rent is often paid in 1-2 cheques for the year, rather than on a monthly basis.

It will come down to how much the company wants you and what you are able to negotiate. Legal secretaries work for either a large Western law firm's office in the UAE or as a legal assistance to an inhouse legal counsel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts