Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am a Montrealer seeking a working holiday visa. I'm planning on living in Paris during my one year stay in France. I am incredibly lost about what to do. I know I need to buy a roundtrip plane ticket, medical insurance and need valid Canadian passport before I send in my application... but where do I go from there?

How do I find an apartment? How do I find a job once I get there? Other than my working holiday visa, do I need any other piece of documentation to rent a place, to work and to pay for utilities? If so, how do I go about obtaining those documents.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If there are any other Canadians out there planning the same kind of trip or have already done it, your advice and camaraderie would be welcome.

Kind regards,
LaMontrealaise

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same boat

Hey LaMontrealaise,

I'm in the same boat as you (Montrealer applying for the 3D working holiday visa for France) although my visa application is significantly complicated by the fact that I'm temporarily living and working in Los Angeles!

I have my application filled out and ready. The only thing I don't have that they request in the Document Checklist "Proof of provincial insurance coverage valid outside of the province" since I don't have a RAMQ card :(

Have you submitted your application? Would love to get your feedback on the procedure as I will most likely have to go back to Montreal to apply.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, i had a working holiday visa like you before. Renting an apartment on your own here would be quite difficult as they'll ask a lot of paper from you such as work contract, bank statement, and a guarantor. Maybe it's easier if you try to find a flat share. You can check pap.fr or seloger.com if you want to see what's available for rent.

As for the job, depends what kind of job you're looking for. I'm not sure if there's restriction on what sort of job you can do, i heard different stories. Some people said the visa was only meant for people to work on casual jobs like in restaurants or bars etc.. but i was freelancing for a company and there seems to be no problem with that.

If you want to open a bank account, i'd suggest opening with hsbc. They seems to be most foreigner friendly on my experience (correct me if i'm wrong here).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just arrived here on a 2E working holiday visa 3 weeks ago. The 2E was the old one which was phased out to the 3D in mid April, they are the same though. I am going to try to switch to the 3D after my 2E runs out in a year.

I am currently living in Lyon. I found a place on airbnb and liked it so I eventually negotiated with the owner to stay long term with them. You can also find home sharing on appartager.com

As for filling out the application. It is really simple. Follow the checklist on the PDF package on there website. Once I had all my paperwork in order and mailed it to the consulate, I received my passport back with the visa within a few days of sending it out to them.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello

Hello everyone,

I am a Montrealer seeking a working holiday visa. I'm planning on living in Paris during my one year stay in France. I am incredibly lost about what to do. I know I need to buy a roundtrip plane ticket, medical insurance and need valid Canadian passport before I send in my application... but where do I go from there?

How do I find an apartment? How do I find a job once I get there? Other than my working holiday visa, do I need any other piece of documentation to rent a place, to work and to pay for utilities? If so, how do I go about obtaining those documents.

If there are any other Canadians out there planning the same kind of trip or have already done it, your advice and camaraderie would be welcome.

Kind regards,
LaMontrealaise

Hello to you.

Nice project. However, I would not recommend to stay your full year in Paris, as very often grape picking in Champagne or Bourgogne are a good way to meet people/opportunities, making some money, and also to get a first working experience in the country.

Are you 100% sure that you need to buy a round trip plane ticket? I was thinking you can also just proof that you have enough money on your account to buy one back. Air Transat makes often cheap one way ticket.

To get a flat, I do not know if you looked at the housing prices, and I do not know your budget, but this is often out of reach for youngs, and the owners/agency would prefer people working there, with contracts etc etc... I would recommend to look for a shared flat, where you can find nice rooms btween 500/700€ per months for living with 1/2/3 others. Then, with this adress you will be able to open a bank account (you can open one online)

Companies often asks for proof of residency to hire, but you can give the adress of someone else if he/she writes a letter saying that you are living under his/her roof. I dont know what are you qualifications, but for small jobs I would recommend "Hotellerie et Restauration", particulary if you speak both french and english (probably if you are from Montreal).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey LaMontrealaise,

I'm in the same boat as you (Montrealer applying for the 3D working holiday visa for France) although my visa application is significantly complicated by the fact that I'm temporarily living and working in Los Angeles!

I have my application filled out and ready. The only thing I don't have that they request in the Document Checklist "Proof of provincial insurance coverage valid outside of the province" since I don't have a RAMQ card
Hi there!

I wish I had more info to give you about the RAMQ card, but I can confirm to you that that the moment you make the request for the visa, you MUST be on a Canadian resident. So you must come back to Canada and have an address here or the visa might be rejected. Coming back will surely make getting your RAMQ card renewal easier.

I wish you luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to open a bank account, i'd suggest opening with hsbc. They seems to be most foreigner friendly on my experience (correct me if i'm wrong here).
Hi chipahoy!

Thank you for all the great advice. I wonder if opening an hsbc account here will make the process easier for me once in France.

Since you've been through this before, I have a question for you. On the application it asks me for the address of where I will be staying in France. I obviously don't have that information months before I leave as I have no relatives/friends there. I also don't know if renting a place for September is even doable in this case. What do you suggest I do. I know leaving that section blank could cause my visa to be rejected.

Kind regards,
La Montréalaise

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello everyone,

Kind regards,
LaMontrealaise

Hello to you.

Nice project. However, I would not recommend to stay your full year in Paris, as very often grape picking in Champagne or Bourgogne are a good way to meet people/opportunities, making some money, and also to get a first working experience in the country.

Are you 100% sure that you need to buy a round trip plane ticket? I was thinking you can also just proof that you have enough money on your account to buy one back. Air Transat makes often cheap one way ticket.

To get a flat, I do not know if you looked at the housing prices, and I do not know your budget, but this is often out of reach for youngs, and the owners/agency would prefer people working there, with contracts etc etc... I would recommend to look for a shared flat, where you can find nice rooms btween 500/700? per months for living with 1/2/3 others. Then, with this adress you will be able to open a bank account (you can open one online)

Companies often asks for proof of residency to hire, but you can give the adress of someone else if he/she writes a letter saying that you are living under his/her roof. I dont know what are you qualifications, but for small jobs I would recommend "Hotellerie et Restauration", particulary if you speak both french and english (probably if you are from Montreal).
Hi Antonio,

Thank you for the information. I didn't realize that renting a room would be cost as much as 700 euros. I think for a fee more euros I could get a studio and have my privacy. I've never had roommates and it's a situation I was trying to avoid, but if I see that getting a flat on my own is just too hard, I might go for roomies for the first couple months.

About the roundtrip plane ticket, it used to be a requirement on the 2E visa, but that changed sometime in April of this year with the new 3D visa. I wasn't aware of the changes yet when I wrote this post.

Yes Antonio, I am perfectly bilingual and was thinking about obtaining a ESOL teaching certificate so I can teach english in France. Apparently a lot of youths on working holiday visas do it. Oxford seminars offers an intensive ESOL teaching course at McGill university. I'm seriously thinking about it. I know it doesn't guarantee I'll find a teaching job once I'm in Paris, but it's a good safety net.

Thank you again for the information.

Kind regards,
La Montréalaise

·
Administrator
49,828 Posts
Paris can be a tough location for someone on a WHV. As folks have noted, rents are steep not only in the city itself, but in much of the surrounding area. For the visa, you need to have an address where you'll be staying for at least the first few weeks. When you get here, that's the time to start looking for a longer term place to stay. (You really don't want to rent any place without seeing it first - and checking out the general neighborhood.)

But the rent is one big reason why lots of folks tend to head for some of the smaller towns in France on a WHV. More likely to find short-term jobs (often in hotels, restaurants or other tourist industry places) and cheaper rent.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Feel free to ask me any questions.
Hi Gpstar,

I attempted to write you a private message but the website wouldn't allow it since you've only written 4 posts so far and 5 posts are required for messaging. Since you are currently living in France on a 2E/3D visa, I have a question for you.

Regards,
La Montréalaise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts