Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding the working holiday scheme and the realities of moving to australia and getting work.

I am 17 years old and will be turning 18 at the end of the year. I plan on going to Australia for a year or two under the working holiday scheme, most likely by myself. I plan on leaving around June of '10. First off i'll tell you a bit about myself in order for you to give me the most appropriate advice. I live in Cambridge in the UK. I left sixth form just before the end of the first year (before taking my exams), therefore the only formal qualifications I have are GCSEs and I have had very little work experience. I really do regret my decision to leave sixth form (as you can imagine) but I have a passion for the outdoors and travelling and this was probably one of the main reasons (amongst a few others) that I decided to leave sixth form.

What I plan on doing is getting a job for around 5 months (in the UK) and saving around £2000. After flying out to Australia and possibly staying with family for a week or two I would like to work on a ranch for around 3 to 6 months (Which would both allow me to stay for a second year in Australia and also save up more money (considering accommodation is provided), maybe around £2-3000? ).

After working on a ranch i'd like to move to sydney and rent my own flat. I also plan on doing a PADI Divemaster course as well as a Yachtmaster Day Skipper qualification for both scuba diving and crewing boats as this is the kind of work i'd prefer to be doing. If jobs in that area would not be possible then I guess I would be working in bars and cafe's?

I would like to know what you guys (being more experienced individuals than myself) thought of my 'plan'? Taking everything into account, such as qualifications, work experience, funds etc. How easy is it to get work in bars for example with little experience, what about diving or crewing jobs? etc. etc. :eek:

Thanks very much for your time,

Tom

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Tom:

I would consider QLD instead of Sydney for the type of job you're looking at, places like Cairns, Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise. Also you might want to continue studies in AU (i.e. a trade) and get certified here. Then you would be eligible for Permanent Residency as well.

But first try out the WHV and see how you like AU. If you want go the trade route then talk to some tradies and see what they recommend.

Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding the working holiday scheme and the realities of moving to australia and getting work.

I am 17 years old and will be turning 18 at the end of the year. I plan on going to Australia for a year or two under the working holiday scheme, most likely by myself. I plan on leaving around June of '10. First off i'll tell you a bit about myself in order for you to give me the most appropriate advice. I live in Cambridge in the UK. I left sixth form just before the end of the first year (before taking my exams), therefore the only formal qualifications I have are GCSEs and I have had very little work experience. I really do regret my decision to leave sixth form (as you can imagine) but I have a passion for the outdoors and travelling and this was probably one of the main reasons (amongst a few others) that I decided to leave sixth form.

What I plan on doing is getting a job for around 5 months (in the UK) and saving around £2000. After flying out to Australia and possibly staying with family for a week or two I would like to work on a ranch for around 3 to 6 months (Which would both allow me to stay for a second year in Australia and also save up more money (considering accommodation is provided), maybe around £2-3000? ).

After working on a ranch i'd like to move to sydney and rent my own flat. I also plan on doing a PADI Divemaster course as well as a Yachtmaster Day Skipper qualification for both scuba diving and crewing boats as this is the kind of work i'd prefer to be doing. If jobs in that area would not be possible then I guess I would be working in bars and cafe's?

I would like to know what you guys (being more experienced individuals than myself) thought of my 'plan'? Taking everything into account, such as qualifications, work experience, funds etc. How easy is it to get work in bars for example with little experience, what about diving or crewing jobs? etc. etc. :eek:

Thanks very much for your time,

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tom:

I would consider QLD instead of Sydney for the type of job you're looking at, places like Cairns, Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise. Also you might want to continue studies in AU (i.e. a trade) and get certified here. Then you would be eligible for Permanent Residency as well.

But first try out the WHV and see how you like AU. If you want go the trade route then talk to some tradies and see what they recommend.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I was wondering whether there were any other significant differences between Queensland and Sydney? I like the idea of learning a trade in Australia. In order to earn permanent residency I assume it would have to be a trade from the skills shortage list? Also this may seem like a stupid question, but if I were to learn a trade would I then have to work in that trade permanently as a contract of my permanent residency in Australia?

Also can anybody else with more experience shed some light on what it is like getting work crewing on boats as well as diving jobs in Australia?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
QLD is a state so you'd need to check out the different cities which can vary quite a bit from Sydney. QLD is more tropical and laid back than Sydney. You should go for a trade where you will find employment fairly easily, the PR comes soon anyway. You wouldn't have to work in the trade after you got your PR, but it's logical that to earn income you would be working in the trade you trained for.

If you are interested in this route look at the TAFE system in AU, they are the schools that teach trades and they all have international offices where you can find out more about costs and things like that. You can start out on a WHV and then if you really want to pursue studies you can then go for a student visa (most allow work of 20 hrs/wk while studying).

Thanks a lot for the reply. I was wondering whether there were any other significant differences between Queensland and Sydney? I like the idea of learning a trade in Australia. In order to earn permanent residency I assume it would have to be a trade from the skills shortage list? Also this may seem like a stupid question, but if I were to learn a trade would I then have to work in that trade permanently as a contract of my permanent residency in Australia?

Also can anybody else with more experience shed some light on what it is like getting work crewing on boats as well as diving jobs in Australia?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QLD is a state so you'd need to check out the different cities which can vary quite a bit from Sydney. QLD is more tropical and laid back than Sydney. You should go for a trade where you will find employment fairly easily, the PR comes soon anyway. You wouldn't have to work in the trade after you got your PR, but it's logical that to earn income you would be working in the trade you trained for.

If you are interested in this route look at the TAFE system in AU, they are the schools that teach trades and they all have international offices where you can find out more about costs and things like that. You can start out on a WHV and then if you really want to pursue studies you can then go for a student visa (most allow work of 20 hrs/wk while studying).
I've taken a look at the TAFE website. Now forgive me for my ignorance but what type of qualification is it I need that officially makes me part of a trade once completed? What is the course I am looking for?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to double post. After having another look I found this course... (Not allowed to post links!)...

"Marine Craft Construction-
Qualification: Certificate III (NRT)
Training Package: MEM05 - Metal and Engineering
Course No: 9272
Program Area: Manufacturing

You can do this course as part of an apprenticeship
This course relates to an area on the national skills needs list"

This is something that would really appeal to me, and is also on the skills shortage list. So correct me if I am wrong but after completing this course I would be able to apply for permanent residency? Would I have to secure a job first? (Which i assume would be quite hard in an industry as specific as this one?)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Tom:

I would contact the school offering this course and ask them if it's eligible to apply for PR after completing this course. The PR visas available for new graduates usually require (2) yrs full time study, so please inquire directly from the school if this course qualifies.

I don't think you'd need to get a job first to get PR, but having a job or employer willing to sponsor dramatically speeds up PR visa processing.

If seriously considering this path you should also contact a migration agent (first consultations are usually free). One of the forum members SOMV is a migration agent.

Sorry to double post. After having another look I found this course... (Not allowed to post links!)...

"Marine Craft Construction-
Qualification: Certificate III (NRT)
Training Package: MEM05 - Metal and Engineering
Course No: 9272
Program Area: Manufacturing

You can do this course as part of an apprenticeship
This course relates to an area on the national skills needs list"

This is something that would really appeal to me, and is also on the skills shortage list. So correct me if I am wrong but after completing this course I would be able to apply for permanent residency? Would I have to secure a job first? (Which i assume would be quite hard in an industry as specific as this one?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts