Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first ever post so be gentle. I hope i've put it in the right place though i'm sure you'll re-direct me if I've got it wrong.

Right then, I've a question regarding working from the US.

I'm planning to accompany my husband (I'll have an L2 with a work permit - currently awaiting the return of our passports with visas enclosed from the embassy).

I would like to either remain as an employee of my current employer being paid in £ into a UK bank account (i work for international pharma company who are established in teh US but i would be working for the Uk affilate) or work as a contractor for my current employer under my own Ltd company (I have this from a previous stint as a contractor).

HR at work are theoretically onboard but are having a few issues thinking through the ins and outs - they have come back with a concern that I'll be deemed as establishing a permanent establishment in the US and would be liable to corporation tax? Any thoughts?:confused:

The 'professional' advice we have recieved in the situation so far has advised that, if I remain employed, I should request a zero tax code from HMRC and my global income is then declared and taxed in the US. If the zero tax code if not forthcoming/appropriate then I decalre the tax i've already paid in the US and avoid double taxation under the Treaty agreement. If I contract then I guess the latter applies too, or I just leave the cash in the company (not pay myself) and sort it out once we're back in the uk???

Apologies for niaivety but anyone had experience of all this???
thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts