Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in corresponding with anyone who works there so I can get an idea of what it would be like. For example, how is the corporate culture? Could IARC/WHO hire me despite my non-EU (USA) citizenship?

As a newbie, I can't yet get personal messages on this forum.

Thank you in advance,

Erin in TX

·
Administrator
51,607 Posts
Normally any UN agency can hire anyone who is a national of one of the member countries. And, it's very often the case that at a certain level, the job candidate will be exempt from having to have a visa to work in the host country. That's the good news.

The "don't need to have a visa" thing makes these sorts of jobs very popular, though, and the environment is usually pretty competitive. The UN and other international agencies are also committed to diversity, and will often give priority to a candidate from a lesser known country if their qualifications meet the posted job. (There are lots of Americans already working in Europe for the various UN agencies.)

As far as corporate culture is concerned, it varies between "corporate" culture per se and the culture of an international NGO, which is a bit unique. If you work for an International NGO, you are considered an "international fonctionnaire" which means that you're on a special benefits plan, completely apart from the French social benefits system. It's a very different culture from working in a French company or business concern.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bev, for your insightful response. That is just the kind of info I was looking for. Despite being from a well known country, I am ready to compete!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.