Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you grew uo in Valencia, are you not entitled to Spanish citizenship? Alternatively, isn´t there a residency option for people who can prove that they are integrated into Spanish society?

IT work in Spain pays much less than in UK and work is usually available only through agencies so I would not consider this option

·
Registered
47 Posts
PORTAL DE INMIGRACIÓN. Autorizaciones de residencia por circunstancias excepcionales (inclusion.gob.es)

• Supuestos de arraigo. Extranjeros que se encuentran en España en situación irregular (sin una autorización de estancia o residencia).
    • Arraigo laboral. Si ha permanecido en España al menos dos años y puede acreditar una relación laboral de duración no inferior a seis meses.
    • Arraigo social. Si ha permanecido en España al menos tres años, cuenta con un contrato de trabajo y acredite vínculos familiares con otros extranjeros residentes o presente un informe de inserción social.
    • Arraigo familiar. Si es hijo de padre o madre originariamente españoles o bien sean padre o madre de un menor de nacionalidad española.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
PORTAL DE INMIGRACIÓN. Autorizaciones de residencia por circunstancias excepcionales (inclusion.gob.es)

• Supuestos de arraigo. Extranjeros que se encuentran en España en situación irregular (sin una autorización de estancia o residencia).
    • Arraigo laboral. Si ha permanecido en España al menos dos años y puede acreditar una relación laboral de duración no inferior a seis meses.
    • Arraigo social. Si ha permanecido en España al menos tres años, cuenta con un contrato de trabajo y acredite vínculos familiares con otros extranjeros residentes o presente un informe de inserción social.
    • Arraigo familiar. Si es hijo de padre o madre originariamente españoles o bien sean padre o madre de un menor de nacionalidad española.
This is exceptions for immigrants whose situation was essentially in origin illegal or without papers.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
It's an interesting point though. Technically a UK citizen (post Brexit) could be in an illegal situation in Spain and apply for residency under arraigo. Hardly a recommendable course of action though especially for the OP who needs to work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is exceptions for immigrants whose situation was essentially in origin illegal or without papers.
No it is not. Use your dictionary to look up "circunstancias excepcionales" - it means exceptional circumstances and if Brexit is not an Exceptional Circumstance than I don´t know what is.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
No it is not. Use your dictionary to look up "circunstancias excepcionales" - it means exceptional circumstances and if Brexit is not an Exceptional Circumstance than I don´t know what is.
Is something that a whole nation had four years time to prepare for an exceptional circumstance?

Might be worth trying, though. Would there be adverse consequences if such an application were to be refused?

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
What was exceptional about at least two years notice ? Bit like Xmas you knew it was coming

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
You may be confusing the word "exceptional" with "unexpected". Brexit, while not unexpected, was nonetheless exceptional.
I guess we'll have to wait until a British applicant tries to apply under this path to see whether the Spanish immigration authority interprets the existence of Brexit to be sufficiently exceptional to grant residence rights.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
If you grew uo in Valencia, are you not entitled to Spanish citizenship? Alternatively, isn´t there a residency option for people who can prove that they are integrated into Spanish society?

IT work in Spain pays much less than in UK and work is usually available only through agencies so I would not consider this option
Arraigo?

That's not a plan, it's a solution to an existing problem.

Unlikely that someone coming to Spain in order to claim arraigo would succeed.

Unfortunately ex residents who have left, are no longer resident. Those with 'permanent residency' can leave for no longer than 2 years without losing the right to residency.

The only exception is Bristish citizens who are permanent resident benificiaries of the WA - (they can leave fior 5 years without losing residency rights).

If that right had already been lost, though, it can't be recovered.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
You can't claim arraigo unles you have already been here for three years, but in the case of a UK citizen who has never registered and is now without a visa, the process theoretically applies.

The question for me is if the "three year" rule would count from when the UK citizen can show that they started living in Spain without the correct papers, or three years from when they were no longer an EU citizen. Arraigo is not available to EU citizens.

Badly compared it is like my own case of citizenship application. The law says that after being married to a Spaniard for 1 year I could apply, but when I called the ministry of justice to clarify they were very clear that even though I had been married for many years to my wife and she had Spanish nationality, that wasn't enough because she hadn't been Spanish for one year...
So for UK citizens, maybe this isn't even worth considering until 2024, but for those that stay "under the radar" until then might benefit?

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
You can't claim arraigo unles you have already been here for three years, but in the case of a UK citizen who has never registered and is now without a visa, the process theoretically applies.

The question for me is if the "three year" rule would count from when the UK citizen can show that they started living in Spain without the correct papers, or three years from when they were no longer an EU citizen. Arraigo is not available to EU citizens.

Badly compared it is like my own case of citizenship application. The law says that after being married to a Spaniard for 1 year I could apply, but when I called the ministry of justice to clarify they were very clear that even though I had been married for many years to my wife and she had Spanish nationality, that wasn't enough because she hadn't been Spanish for one year...
So for UK citizens, maybe this isn't even worth considering until 2024, but for those that stay "under the radar" until then might benefit?
But a UK citizen who can prove that they were living here before the end of next year doesn't have to go the arraigo route.

There's (currently) no time limit for applying for a 'Brexit' TIE under EU income etc. requirements.

Arraigo is more complicated than that.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
But a UK citizen who can prove that they were living here before the end of next year doesn't have to go the arraigo route.

There's (currently) no time limit for applying for a 'Brexit' TIE under EU income etc. requirements.

Arraigo is more complicated than that.
That is true, if they can prove they had the right health care and means etc. But of they were here "irregularly" this might be their only hope in the future.

Anyway we are way off-topic! This has ne relevance to the OP!

I wonder if residency by arraigo entitles you to free health care? 😉 🤷‍♂️

21 - 34 of 34 Posts