Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone has experience here.

After getting my first spouse visa, the only job I could find was not commutable from my home as my job is a bit rare. As such, I work away during the week - drive out Monday morning, back Friday night. Naturally, I am trying to get one closer to home, but my job is a bit rare and my experience less than a new employer would want. My husband's job is even more difficult to move (next to impossible) and certainly not to anywhere commutable from my work place for separate reasons.

My council tax, NHS, banks, phone, HMRC, home address according to my work, (in other words everything) records my home address as our home where I am on weekends. My husband is the only one on our mortgage at the moment as I was unemployed when we bought it. When we remortgage it soon, I will be on the mortgage as well. Where I work, I lodge in a room and do not pay council tax. All I have is a temporary registration with the local GP for my lodging address. We have been putting away paperwork for both of us for proof of address so there is no shortage.

Has anyone else had the same situation? Did the renewal get refused? Were there any extra hoops to jump through? There are some jobs, like on the oil rigs, where you have to work away from home so I can't imagine they could forbid it outright. I can't renew my visa until September 2018, I just want to sort it all out now.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
You shouldn't worry about your visa renewal. A lot of people have to do a weekly commute and provided you are returning home every weekend and have verifiable proofs of cohabitation, you should be fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joppa. I do feel better now.

By verifiable proofs do you mean big government things like council tax, HMRC and NHS or something else like power of attorney documents, joint utilities bills, etc?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thanks Joppa. I do feel better now.

By verifiable proofs do you mean big government things like council tax, HMRC and NHS or something else like power of attorney documents, joint utilities bills, etc?

Thanks again.
For proof of address use the documents stated which are addressed to your primary home. You have utility bills in Joint names get Council Tax also.
Remember when you come to apply next year, the documents need to be spaced over the previous 30 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.