Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GEMS Wellington Academy - Silicon Oasis

Hi all,

I'm starting a job in September as a Teacher in the GEMS Wellington Academy - Silicon Oasis.

Just wondering if anyone else is? Or if anyone is currently been out there a year or two and has any tips/advise?

Looking forward to hearing from all newbie teachers!

Many thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey,

I'm starting at GEMS Wellington Academy Al Khail in September. It's not far from Silicon Oasis... in fact, I think that the staff at my new school live in Silicon Oasis. I may be wrong though.

- Matthew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can't speak for Al Khail but GEMS DSO has some of the best facilities of any school in Dubai, my stepdaughter attends there, as do several colleague's children and I have a number of friends who are TAs there.
All speak positively about GEMS as an employer and the school as a place to work.

Congratulations on the appointment(s)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dubai

Hi both,

You can call me Lauren haha

Im teaching Primary and have been told il be flying out around the 19th of August. What about you?
Hi Lauren

I've only just sent in my contract. Not heard anything about when I'm heading out.

Are they booking the flight for you or sorting it yourself?

Ryan

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll be teaching Music at GEMS Al Khail. Very excited. As far as I'm aware, all the flights / accommodation gets sorted in June... but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys, sorry to bring up an old thread! Just wondering how your first year has gone here? I have an interview for a teaching role here to start in September and curious how it is.

Also, what is the staff accommodation like?

Thank you for any help :)

P.S. Hope your first year has went well!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi.

I didn't manage to get out there. They screwed me over a few weeks before. After signing a contract, got all my certificates stamped and getting myself mentally prepared they withdrew their offer. Plus deleted and blocked from a Facebook group they had set up. Not impressed.

Be careful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
GEMS Wellington Academy - Silicon Oasis

Hi all,

I'm starting a job in September as a Teacher in the GEMS Wellington Academy - Silicon Oasis.

Just wondering if anyone else is? Or if anyone is currently been out there a year or two and has any tips/advise?

Looking forward to hearing from all newbie teachers!

Many thanks,

Ryan
Hi,

How are you finding things?

I've an interview coming up with them and am pretty nervous! I've heard contrasting report about the interview. Some say that the interview is bit of a formality but plenty of others have said that they were rejected after the interview!

Also, what's your accommodation like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, sorry to bring up an old thread! Just wondering how your first year has gone here? I have an interview for a teaching role here to start in September and curious how it is.

Also, what is the staff accommodation like?

Thank you for any help :)

P.S. Hope your first year has went well!
How'd your interview go?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really well! Even though people slate the school for being a 'business' they seem like just what a British academy are pushing for, but look after you better.

Just waiting to hear back regarding contracts and my partners job.

How about you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same. Went well! Very, very excited now!

The school looks wonderful and I just want to get out there tomorrow! It's going to be a long wait to get to the summer!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts