Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Working after attending University in UK

945 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Joppa 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am hoping that someone can offer advice on my situation.

I am currently studying and living in the UK and have been here about a year now on a student visa. I have been trying to seek employment for when the course is finished and have found a job where they want to hire me. They are a rapidly growing company that is expanding quickly. I have told them that I will need to be sponsored by them, which they're not sure that they can do but are more than willing to look in to it and make it happen if possible. My question is, if they aren't on the registered sponsored list, can they still find a way to sponsor and hire me? I am aware of them needing to offer the job to a UK resident first and I have done lots of research about all aspects of living/working in the UK.

The whole point of me choosing to get my graduate degree here was because I wanted to live and work in the UK after the course was through. I can't seem to find a way to make this likely in my field and now that I have found this job, it seems so close but still unobtainable!

I don't really see many options for myself on a way to stay, I don't have ancestry and even though I am in a long term relationship, don't plan on marrying yet or getting engaged. We have been living together a year now (been together much longer) but I don't think that can help with anything either since we haven't been living together 2 years.

Can any one offer any advice?

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, not sure if you will find this helpful but normally companies are aware if they can sponsor employees on Tier 2. I have an american friend whose story is similar to yours and they kept telling her the same thing until her visa ran out. Which company is it? What is the role?
To answer your question. In order to sponsor you, they have to show they can't get locals through the resident labour market test(advertising etc) ,this is assuming the role is not on the shortage list.Also, you can confirm their status by checking the register,it should be somewhere on the UKBA's website.

#3 ·
You and the respondent are misinformed.
When switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 General, for a new graduate or postgraduate, the sponsor doesn't have to offer the job first to those who don't require visa sponsorship, and don't even have to advertise the post. But the pay must be at least £20,300, and the employer must be a registered sponsor, or has to become one.

Some employers understandably find this too irksome even without resident labour market test and won't consider you, but others may be more helpful. It depends on how badly they want you. Becoming a registered sponsor isn't straightforward and costs them money and extra work, and if they are unlikely to sponsor another person soon, they may not be willing to put in the efforts required. The procedure usually includes a personal visit by Home Office staff to check their books, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.