Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A bit of background about my situation before i begin:
I am married to a US citizen, I am Australian. We got married in Australia and my husband has returned to the US for work.
I have just returned from the US in October on a 90 visitor visa. I do intend to live and work in the US eventually. We have looked into the Spouse Visa.
Can i apply for a temporary work visa without applying for a Spouse visa at the moment.
I want to spend Christmas with my husband and our 1 year wedding anniversary is on the 1st Jan 2014. I would like to be there for this but I am worried if i apply for my Spouse visa from Australia that i would not be able to travel to the US whilst it is being approved and it would take to long for us to spend our anniversary and Christmas together.
I don't really want to travel as a visitor as i need to be able to work, being there for 90 days recently really affected my savings so I need to be able to work over there when i arrive so i was wondering if there is any way of getting a work visa now so i can work when i get there, and enjoy Christmas etc with my husband.
Does anybody know if i can get a Temporary Work Visa until we fill out the Spouse Visa forms?

Thanks

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
It's November, 2013. You are asking whether you could both land a job in the U.S. and have an employer secure a visa for you before Christmas, 2013, if that's even possible for that particular job. I'd say that's unlikely!

The sooner you pursue the spousal visa (via his filing I-130 then I-129F) the sooner you'll be able to live and work in the U.S. Get it going. If you want to visit during Christmas you've got three choices:

1. Though CBP advises against it if you have a CR-1 pending, go to the U.S. on a short vacation. (You cannot work, though.)

2. Particularly if your husband lives near(ish) Canada and can visit you there, go to Canada. If you're young(ish) you can go on a working holiday visa and earn a bit of income.

3. Let him visit Australia for a Christmas vacation.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
There is no such thing as a Temporary Work visa. In addition, you need to find an employer to sponsor you for a work visa.

Returning to the US in December after a 90 day visit which only ended in October is likely to be problematic at point of entry. Maybe a shorter stay would be advisable.

I would suggest the quicker you apply for the spouse visa the quicker you will be able to enter the US and work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts