Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and first of all thank you for reading. I found myself in a very unique situation and would appreciate any advice.

I'm a Brazilian National in a Civil Partnership (1y 7 mo) with a dual French/British national. I have been living in the UK for 9 months under an EEA Family Permit visa, but as I requested a residence card I got denied and asked to leave because I didn't know him being British made my EEA Family Permit invalid from the start. I'm now back in Brazil, as I never intended to breach any immigration rules, and trying to study my possibilities to be closer to home.

For the UK Family Visa, we need to reach an income level that will take us a while, possibly up to a year. My sister in law, who lives in France, has a baby and employs a nounou who's pregnant, leaving in December.

Is there any possibility of me getting a visa or work permit to take this job, while my partner still lives abroad (London)? Is this idea too far fetched? Me and the family get along really well and I have babysat before. The income would be really helpful for my UK visa saga.
I've looked into the Au Pair scheme and I'm afraid I wouldn't fit as the applicant needs to be single, however I'm not quite sure if the PACS would mean marriage under this rule.

Merci!

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
The only way to use your French PACS partner's nationality to get a visa would be if you were going to live with him in France. (And, short of getting married, it's not exactly guaranteed that you'd be able to get the visa anyhow.)

If he's living in the UK, then yes, you'd have to get an appropriate visa (not sure how the Brits see this - but it's similar to a spouse visa most places). He can't fall back on his French nationality for British immigration issues like this.

For you to get a work permit/visa for France, your employer (i.e. sister-in-law) would have to get work authorization for you under the French rules, and for a babysitter/nanny that's not real likely. She would have to prove that she had tried and failed to find someone already in France (or the EU) similarly qualified for the job.

Any chance he could find a job in France?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply! Because of industry perspective he'd rather stay in England - I guess I'm back to waiting then.

I really appreciate the advice! Have a lovely week :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts