Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Work visa and bringing family with me

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  nyclon 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Could someone advise if there is a visa that allows my son in law to work in the UK and for him to bring his wife and child as dependents? They presently live in the US and are both US citizens.

He has a job offer starting at 25,000 per annum. They will live with myself and my wife as we have a 4 bedroom house we own.

Thanks.

#3 ·
#4 ·
They are both US citizens plus baby.

My wife is a US citizen here on a 5-year spouse visa. I`m British.

25,000 would be his starting salary, with overtime and bonus he will make over 30,000.

He is trained in a special type of surgery. It`s currently not offered in the UK, only in the US where he trained.

He will work under the supervision of a UK surgeon.

No-one in the UK knows how to do this procedure, except the surgeon who is currently being trained in the US.

#5 ·
Unless he obtains a Tier 2 visa from a sponsoring employer he won't be able to take up the job.

It's going to be up to the employer to justify the visa.

Is he a medical professional or some sort of 'technician' ?

#9 ·
Read up on the Tier 2 visa:

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

The applicant can apply for it but he must have the paperwork from a licensed sponsor.

Yes, dependents can be brought to the UK. Read what is required for them in the link I gave you.

#8 ·
No. He applies for it. The employer needs to issue him a certificate of sponsorship. His wife and child each have to apply for Tier 2 dependent visas. There is a maintenance requirement.

Read the link:

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general

#11 ·
Thought I`d update as there nothing worse than reading a post and the end result is not updated. Sorry, it`s a bit late.
My son in law was promoted at his work so they decided to stay in the US.
They had a second child 2 months ago. My wife decided she wants to be in the US with them. So she is there right now and i`m in the UK. She wants to stay in the US.
I`m starting a new thread on the difficult situation I now find myself in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.