Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I am an Australian who will be arriving in France with my French wife shortly. I have my Visa de Long Sejour.

I understand that once we arrive in France, I will be required to complete the "Visa de Long Sejour - Demande d'Attestation OFII" and mail it off with the required documents to our nominated OFII location (in our case, Marseille). I also understand that we may not hear back from them and receive the Carte de Sejour for quite a long time, perhaps up to 5 months.

My question is this: Do I have the right to work in France before I receive the Carte de Sejour? Or during this potential 5 month wait do I just have to wait before trying to find work.

Thanks in advance

Julian

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
Practically speaking, I think you probably have to wait however long it takes to get the OFII appointment over and done with. It may be possible to work (or at least look for work) while you're waiting for the OFII appointment - but most employers want to see your "work authorization document" which for you will be the validation of your visa that you get once you're done with the OFII appointment. Until that comes through, many employers won't even talk to you about a job, because they don't want to risk getting in trouble for hiring a foreigner without working papers.

The other trick is that you must attend the "Life in France" sessions (2 or maybe 3) and if your French is judged wanting, you'll need to get through the French classes. Can be difficult if you're trying to juggle a work schedule. (The French classes can run 6 hrs a day, 4 days a week.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree with Bev. I am in the process of doing all the OFII requirements - I would love to get a job asap but now have to attend french classes for two days a week, (180 hours in total)plus the OFII sends me random letters to attend "workshops" when they want (you have to attend) and often dont give you much notice. I once received a letter on the Tuesday to attend a meeting on the Wednesday!!! Rather wait until all your papers are sorted before getting a job. We arrived in France mid December - sent off the documents for the OFII beginning Jan and my first official appointment was mid Feb. Good luck!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The other trick is that you must attend the "Life in France" sessions (2 or maybe 3) and if your French is judged wanting, you'll need to get through the French classes. Can be difficult if you're trying to juggle a work schedule. (The French classes can run 6 hrs a day, 4 days a week.)
Cheers,
Bev
Those French classes for my other half sound perfect. Having lived in Canada for the last 12 years, we need to get de-programmed from the Quebecois pronounciation! Do I assume that when settled we seek the French language classes out from the local prefecture?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Those French classes for my other half sound perfect. Having lived in Canada for the last 12 years, we need to get de-programmed from the Quebecois pronounciation! Do I assume that when settled we seek the French language classes out from the local prefecture?
The free, obligatory French classes are only for holders of spouse visas, ie: non-EU nationals married to French nationals. You still might be able to find out about French classes from the Mairie though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After getting the OFFI approval, you also have to apply to get the Security Social Number/Card inorder to Work.

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
After getting the OFFI approval, you also have to apply to get the Security Social Number/Card inorder to Work.
That depends a bit on the employer and your visa situation. It is possible for the employer to apply for your SS number when they submit your "declaration d'embauche" - though we've had several folks through here lately saying that their employers are making them go to the CPAM to apply for their social security numbers after they have started work.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.