Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

My fiance and I are to be married in the states in February. I am a US citizen and he is UK citizen. My question is how do I go about applying for a work visa to the UK? The websites online are confusing and I am not sure what route to take. I would greatly appreciate any help that is out there.

Thank you!

Anna

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply nyclon....yes I can apply for a spouse visa which we will be doing...I was looking at all possible avenues.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Thank you for your reply nyclon....yes I can apply for a spouse visa which we will be doing...I was looking at all possible avenues.
If you meet the requirements for the spouse visa then that is most likely going to be your best option. A spouse visa gives you the right to work. As I said, Tier 2 work visas are extremely difficult to qualify for. You must find an employer to sponsor you but before they can sponsor you they have to prove there is no one in the UK or EU who can fill the position. Unless you have some rare talent, your chances are slim.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is my situation...I am going to apply for a spousal visa once we are married in February. Providing I am granted the visa, I move to UK to live with my future husband...will I be able to apply for any job per say in an office setting or other available jobs? I guess where I am confused is I understand the Tier 2 work permit but since I do not qualify for any that are mentioned in Tier 2, will I be able to find any available job once I move there with a spousal visa?

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Here is my situation...I am going to apply for a spousal visa once we are married in February. Providing I am granted the visa, I move to UK to live with my future husband...will I be able to apply for any job per say in an office setting or other available jobs? I guess where I am confused is I understand the Tier 2 work permit but since I do not qualify for any that are mentioned in Tier 2, will I be able to find any available job once I move there with a spousal visa?
Once you have the spouse visa you are eligible to apply for ANY job - the Tier 2 criteria will not apply to you.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
As I said, a spouse visa gives you the right to work. Whether you can find a job is another matter entirely, but you are entitled to work and apply for any job that you want.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much!!! That's great news! Another question....what is the best possible way for me to look for and apply for a job in the UK? Should I have something lined up prior to moving or once I get there apply for a job?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You are unlikely to have anything arranged beforehand, as you are still to get your spouse visa. So start job hunting after arrival. First, get your national insurance number (similar to SSN). Then apply to ads and go to Job Centre (government job agency). Sometimes taking your CV (UK version of résumé) personally yields results. One issue that will come up is lack of UK experience and qualification. Sometimes people work for nothing just for the experience and enhancing their CV.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your input/replies....is there a website or resources for where I may apply for a job online?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for all of the replies to my questions. I have another question...my fiance brought this up...once we are married, will I be able to travel back to the UK with him, I have only a passport - no visa) and apply for spousal visa while I am in the UK with him? Or is it recommend that I apply for it while in the states after we marry and he returns back to the UK?

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Thanks again for all of the replies to my questions. I have another question...my fiance brought this up...once we are married, will I be able to travel back to the UK with him, I have only a passport - no visa) and apply for spousal visa while I am in the UK with him? Or is it recommend that I apply for it while in the states after we marry and he returns back to the UK?
No. You have to apply for a spouse visa from your normal place of residence which is the US. You can't apply for any type of visa whilst in the UK on a visit visa.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you nyclon but I am a bit confused...I am on the UK Border Agency website and it lists that I can either apply either inside the UK or outside the UK...am I missing something here? My apologies for all the questions...this is so overwhelming and a bit confusing....

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Thank you nyclon but I am a bit confused...I am on the UK Border Agency website and it lists that I can either apply either inside the UK or outside the UK...am I missing something here? My apologies for all the questions...this is so overwhelming and a bit confusing....
Yes, you 're missing something. Depending on where you got married, you can apply inside or outside of the UK. It's not your choice. If you marry outside the UK then you must apply from outside of the UK in your normal place of residence. If you applied for a fiancé visa in order to marry in the UK, then you can apply in the UK after you have married. Alternatively, if you are in the UK on another long term visa like a work visa or a student visa for example, once you are married you can apply for further leave to remain in the UK as a spouse.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahhh....thank you again nyclon...I understand now...I understand things better via you. Thank you so much for all of your help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are two ways, in which US citizens can apply for a work in the United Kingdom that are Tier 1 highly skilled visa category and the Tier 2 work permit category.

In Tier 1 highly skilled category you are not required to have an offer of employment from a licensed employer, however you must meet a very stringent points based assessment which takes into account your qualifications, previous earnings and age, along with a requirement to meet the English language requirements and prove that you can support yourself without access to public funds.
In Tier 2 work permit you must first have received an offer of employment in the form of a certificate of sponsorship from an employer who holds a sponsor licence issued by the UKBA.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
There are two ways, in which US citizens can apply for a work in the United Kingdom that are Tier 1 highly skilled visa category and the Tier 2 work permit category.

In Tier 1 highly skilled category you are not required to have an offer of employment from a licensed employer, however you must meet a very stringent points based assessment which takes into account your qualifications, previous earnings and age, along with a requirement to meet the English language requirements and prove that you can support yourself without access to public funds.
Incorrect.

The Tier 1 highly skilled migrant category is no longer an option as it was discontinued well over a year ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.