Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
France has double the unemployment rate of Germany and nearly double that of the UK at 11.2% and we know that's a lie because lots of Brits here don't claim unemployment and also people who are underemployed are not counted. However, France IS a great place to be if you've been made redundant here or were made unemployed after working in France for at least six months.

So, unless you're an engineer and can get a job with Airbus or one of their suppliers before you come, it's going to be disappointing. If you're an intern, Airbus won't help you find accomodation. You're on your own so wobetide you if you don't speak or read French.

Only one real estate agent I met spoke any English and inevitably some will try to fob off the unsellable properties first - at least they did with me.

Easyjet are advertisng for crew at present, but they expect you to fly to Paris for the interview. Tell me this, who would seriously apply for a job based in London and then be asked to fly to Edinburgh for a job interview? If you write to the IT support mail address, it bounces back which is so laughable it isn't true. The email address is also misspelled on the company website. Run a company? These people couldn't run a bath!

For those incoming to Toulouse without a job, it's very expensive to live here. Also, don't bring a car unless you expect to live in the sticks. It was reported on the national news this summer that fruit and veg had gone up by 15% for no rationale reason. The standard of rental accomodation is extremely low. Think student or hotel. Nothing in between - at least none that I could find.

Arrive with a large sense of humour and wads of cash. You don't want to go to the bank unless you intend to rob one!

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
One further caveat on the jobs with EasyJet - there has been plenty of press about the bargain airlines stationing their staff in France, but with an Irish work contract. What that means is that you won't be paying into the French cotisation system, and won't have access to French job protection rules, either. It's apparently a "legal" situation under EU rules, but causes all sorts of problems concerning taxation, labor law and benefits.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I had heard that too. It doesn't bode well if candidates are informed that they must take cash sterling to the interview in order to buy lunch because Easyjet doesn't accept credit cards or euros. Can you imagine a French candidate accepting this state of affairs? Companies like this have a very poor understanding of marketing. They have no idea that current employees and potential employees are corporate stakeholders and that what the company does (or doesn't do) affects their overall corporate image.

They have yet to learn that bad news travels seven times faster than good news.

Sadly, Air France has been immensely lethargic in responding to the low cost challenge posed by Easyjet and Ryan Air. It is rumoured to be losing money left, right and centre; hence the recent announcement of a further 3000 job losses. Who knows how much they spent on the so-called 'designer' uniforms when what they should have done is invest in some market research on a defensive strategy and an image study wouldn't have gone amiss. I haven't seen the statistics on preferred airlines in Europe, but I would be willing to bet that Air France isn't France's favourite airline.

Gloom and doom? Isn't that why we love the place?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.