Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is so typical of the ridiculous laws/rules that exist - which appear to be most prevailant when working in public services! (in my experience its the same in the UK!!) ... Roca has only been "fired" in the past week ........ for failing to turn up for work since 2006 !!! :rolleyes:

Sue :ranger:

News: Typically Spanish 5.09.09

He has been in prison for more than 3 years and is sacked for failing to turn up for work

Juan Antonio Roca, the former municipal real estate assessor in Marbella who is at the centre of the Malaya corruption case and in prison for other crimes, will not have a job to go to when he is finally released from jail.

He was suspended from his job when he was placed on remand following his arrest in the Malaya case, but it emerged in January this year that, legally, the Town Hall was unable to sack him.

They’ve now found a way to do so however: as a disciplinary measure for repeatedly failing to turn up for work since 31st March 2006. That was when Roca was arrested in the Malaya investigation, and he’s been behind bars ever since.

The news was confirmed to EFE by the PSOE party this Thursday, who said he was sacked by the Town Hall on 24th August.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think this is one of the reasons why bosses don't like giving out full time contracts?! I know a barman that had been with the bar for many years on a full time contract and was hopeless...no...not hopeless...he knew that when the new owners took on the bar and they accepted to keep him on, that they would have difficulties to get rid if they wanted to. He ignores the smoking rules...all the other staff go outside to smoke...he still stands at the end of the bar and smokes. He serves all the spanish punters before foreigners etc, etc. He just keeps getting away with it...a law unto himself!!!:(

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this is one of the reasons why bosses don't like giving out full time contracts?! I know a barman that had been with the bar for many years on a full time contract and was hopeless...no...not hopeless...he knew that when the new owners took on the bar and they accepted to keep him on, that they would have difficulties to get rid if they wanted to. He ignores the smoking rules...all the other staff go outside to smoke...he still stands at the end of the bar and smokes. He serves all the spanish punters before foreigners etc, etc. He just keeps getting away with it...a law unto himself!!!:(
Hi Chica

The thing is you can warn, both verbally and in writing, staff who breach the rules of a company here in Spain, and it is possible to fire someone - unfortunately as you say its very difficult and such a prolonged process many choose not to!

I think the biggest issue for me here was how Roca had been "employed" for 3 years whilst in prison as they couldnt fire him - until someone spotted that they could warn and then fire him for not turning up to work in all that time :D:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.