Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I work in IT in the UK and am looking to relocate to the USA. I have applied for hundreds of roles in the US and get a lot of interest until the fact that I do not have a visa hinders the progression of moving myself and family over to the USA. I have been advised that if I buy an IT company in the US I can work as a contractor and still keep the business going as well I will be OK to stay in the US. The issue is I do not have enough cash to buy a company. This solution sounds a bit dodgy so I am looking for some advice and possible solutions.

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
Although it is often suggested, the option to buy a business in the US has its own pitfalls.

For one, depending on the precise sort of visa you wind up with, you may not be eligible for permanent residence - and, if the business fails to make sufficient profits to satisfy the IRS, you can lose your visa when it comes up for renewal.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also mention that my wife is a nurse, would it be better to try and get work on the back of her skills? She has not worked in 6 years as she has been a full time stay at home Mom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts