Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
we are new to this forum & apologise if this has been covered.

We would like to move to southern spain & work in gibraltar.

There is alot of agencies advertising for a online gaming company.
What i would like to know is does anyone know if these jobs actually exist as most agencies in the uk are just a waste of time & advertise jobs just to get a pool of people together for when there is expected vacancies coming up.

I know it may be best to contact companies direct so if anyone could name a few i would be grateful.

Also my wife has worked for the last 15 years as a insurance administrator.
Is there many jobs in that kind of work in gibraltar?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
Hi all,

What i would like to know is does anyone know if these jobs actually exist as most agencies in the uk are just a waste of time & advertise jobs just to get a pool of people together for when there is expected vacancies coming up.

I know it may be best to contact companies direct so if anyone could name a few i would be grateful.

Thanks in advance
Sorry I can't answer your question, but I've seen those ads too, and to me there seem to be too many, advertised too often.
However, there is a steady trickle of people who say they have got work in Gibraltar and are looking at where to live. Unfortunately, not many want to spill the beans about what they'll be doing! They could however in this thread
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...have-you-come-spain-last-year-found-work.html
I wonder if the fact that we get fairly constant posts about moving to work in Gibraltar is because there's a high turnover in whatever jobs it is that they are doing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I currently live in Spain and work in Gib.
I live in Santa Margarita where there is a Bar, Supermarket, Bakery, Nursery, Beautician/Hairdresser, Pet shop, Chinese Bric a Brac store and an almost finished takeway on a complex 5 minutes from my house.
There is a bus which runs once an hour and takes you to La Linea 5 minutes from the border in half an hour.

In my opinion the job market in Gibraltar is fairly healthy, if you were not overly bothered about what you do, you would not struggle to find something.

If anyone has any questions, please ask as I found it very difficult to find informed answers to my questions before coming here and would like to help others.

Rachel x

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
Hi,

I live in Santa Margarita where there is a Bar, Supermarket, Bakery, Nursery, Beautician/Hairdresser, Pet shop, Chinese Bric a Brac store and an almost finished takeway on a complex 5 minutes from my house.
There is a bus which runs once an hour and takes you to La Linea 5 minutes from the border in half an hour.

In my opinion the job market in Gibraltar is fairly healthy, if you were not overly bothered about what you do, you would not struggle to find something.

If anyone has any questions, please ask as I found it very difficult to find informed answers to my questions before coming here and would like to help others.

Rachel x
That's very nice of you Rachel. Sooo why don't you tell us what you and the people you know do in Gib, and how to find work there?
Please.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!!

I have read the thread & found it very interesting although it goes somewhere off the beaten track.

I think lfe is hard where ever you live.... its what you make of that life what counts & in my eyes the sun would make a big big difference.

If anyone can give anymore info or advice i would appreciate.

Ta:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Rachel x
Hi Rachel
Could you point me in the right direction of companies in Gibraltar & where they advertise there vacancies or is the best way to go through an agency?
The agencies i have found on the net have the same old jobs advertised & like in the uk are full of s*it.

As much info as you could give me would be great.
Ta:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,

I work in gaming and my partner and I found jobs before we came here (I transferred with the company I worked for in the UK).
We actually came here for my partners job and not the other way round.
My best advice would be to look at the agency sites and give them a call to discuss your situation. Some good ones are: Castlehill recruitment, SRG Europe, Quad consultancy and Pentasia.
The reason there are so many jobs at the moment is that so many companies are moving their business out here and expanding at the moment, most of the people I know work in gaming but I have a friend who works as a dental nurse and a friend who works in security.
The gaming industry out here is booming at the moment and if it's an area that you are interested in, I would say that you have a good chance of finding something (don't forget that an online gaming business has to have other departments such as finance, business analyisis, IT, HR etc - it's not all answering phones to customers and chatting online as most people believe!)
The agencies out here are not like in the UK, they have a lot less candidates and it's not so much a case of signing up then never hearing from them again!

Rachel x

·
Registered
55 Posts
I suggest contact the Gib Government
here in London. I have received several emails from them regarding recruitment and renting.

The recruitment agencies I communicated with via email all responded to me.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Coco

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suggest contact the Gib Government
here in London. I have received several emails from them regarding recruitment and renting.

The recruitment agencies I communicated with via email all responded to me.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Coco
me as a filipino citizen working here in morocco, can contact the gib govrnmnt in london?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Rachel... information Please...

Hi... Rachel...

I was reading you informations about Gib, and I really want have contact with you if is possible...
I never been on forums like this one, so is bit complicate for me... I like to know if is possible we exchange emails, I really trust on all of you information and I like to ask few things...
I'm live here in UK but I am Italian, so I want to know how things work out there, especially because I dont have good qualification..
I will be waiting for you answer...
Thank you for you time...

Fernando....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I work with the betting companies in gib in the networks / it planning side, most betting companies require experience/ knowledge of sports betting. As was mentioned by others the roles can be broad it/finance /local hr (head office in home nation uk etc provide main hr ) do you have much experience in this industry or you looking to break in ? . Pentasia seems to be a good agency but caution would be advised with some others I saw a role a while ago where I knew the job was going so applied I had few more certs than was needed long story short got call from agency but the job is still being advertised

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please Rachel, I really need someone to help.... and by reading all posts here I think you are the honest person...
Please just let me know when is possible we have chat here ... I really need some information about Gil.. Please...
Thank you...
Fernando.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Please Rachel, I really need someone to help.... and by reading all posts here I think you are the honest person...
Please just let me know when is possible we have chat here ... I really need some information about Gil.. Please...
Thank you...
Fernando.

Ask your questions on the forum and someone will answer you - thats how it works. Rachel has made it clear that this is how she will talk to you. This is what she wrote
Hi,
I will happily help via the forum but not by email... nothing personal I just don't swap Emails with people I don't know.
So Dalle, write your questions on here

Jo xx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Hi,

I couldnt help but feel that I should answer this. I live in Spain (Duquesa) and work in Gibraltar. I am a recruitment consultant in Gibraltar, and my husband works in the online gaming industry.

To work within the gaming industry you will usually have worked previously within the industry otherwise the companies will not look at you

You are correct in saying that there are lots of agencies advertising roles for online gaming companies in the UK. Most of the roles are the same roles and are with every agency. What you have to remember is that Gibraltar is about 6km by 2km and has 30,000 registered residents. That is the size of a small town in the UK. Then, on top of that there are all of us that commute every day to work, making the border traffic horrendous.

All the roles should be live. It is a legal requirement to have only live jobs on your website. Whether or not companies adhere to that .... Our company only have current live jobs on our website.

Its such a shame that i didnt know about your wife a couple of weeks ago. I have just filled an Insurance Administrator and and Insurance Underwriter role, so yes, they do have those kinds of roles over here.

If you want any further information, please feel free to contact me directly and i will give you any help that I can with regards to finding work in Gibraltar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
another try... to Jo...

Hi Jo....

How are you... Hope you are fine...
Thank you for be available to help with some information about Gil...
Well, I live here in UK, and I can't cop with this weather any more... I am Half Brazilian/Italian and I have no formal qualifications, (Well I have NV2 Professional cookery, but is very different and this do not work properly in Spain), so I was wondering if is cleaning jobs, caretaker, or other manual jobs and how easy is to find..... I am complete lost about where to start, because I have no one there to give the right indication... and when you dont have any friends or someone you know, the things go worst. I just hope you don be afraid to answer and tell me what is good to do.. To be honest this forum is to complicated..... I wish was like chat....where you ask and have good dialogue.... I decide have another go after few frustration posts...
Thank you for you patience and you time...

All the best...

Fernando...

·
Administrator
36,467 Posts
Hi Jo....

How are you... Hope you are fine...
Thank you for be available to help with some information about Gil...
Well, I live here in UK, and I can't cop with this weather any more... I am Half Brazilian/Italian and I have no formal qualifications, (Well I have NV2 Professional cookery, but is very different and this do not work properly in Spain), so I was wondering if is cleaning jobs, caretaker, or other manual jobs and how easy is to find..... I am complete lost about where to start, because I have no one there to give the right indication... and when you dont have any friends or someone you know, the things go worst. I just hope you don be afraid to answer and tell me what is good to do.. To be honest this forum is to complicated..... I wish was like chat....where you ask and have good dialogue.... I decide have another go after few frustration posts...
Thank you for you patience and you time...

All the best...

Fernando...

first off - do you have an EU passport??

if no - you won't be able to work at all in Spain

if yes.......... the NVQ won't count here, and with almost a quarter of Spanish citizens & residents of working age unemployed............. there's not much chance of any work in any case

it's not much better in Gib

1 - 20 of 34 Posts