Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am so desperate for some advice...

Basically I've been offered an amazing job opportunity in Dubai. My Partner has a few interviews lined up too, however he has a criminal conviction from 9 years ago. He has an AFFRAY of which he got 200 hours community service working in a Cathedral coffee shop....

He obviously doesn't want to approach potential employers and ask if there is an issue with this before he has even had his interviews and we don't know who to ask. I am not having much luck looking online either and I get conflicting information.

Long story short..if he can't work in Dubai or get a Visa then I'm not going either.

Can anyone shed any light on this topic?

Thank you so much!!!

Anna

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Even in the UK, I think 9 years is past the required time to declare a conviction at this level. Regardless, nobody will ask and employers will have no way of telling.

And I'm sure he's a changed man, but be aware that scrapping in the street carries more serious consequences than shifts in a shop. While the provocation, especially on the roads, will be a lot higher.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for coming back to me. It is not so much that we are worried there will be a problem with the employer necessarily, more with the authorities? How strict are the government on things like that? Is it an issue? Honestly I cannot stress how much I appreciate any information on this! It's so hard to feel so excited about an amazing opportunity but not know if we should start the proceedings for it all to go wrong! One of the job opportunities he is going for works closely with the government...does this affect anything?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
Thank you so much for coming back to me. It is not so much that we are worried there will be a problem with the employer necessarily, more with the authorities? How strict are the government on things like that? Is it an issue? Honestly I cannot stress how much I appreciate any information on this! It's so hard to feel so excited about an amazing opportunity but not know if we should start the proceedings for it all to go wrong! One of the job opportunities he is going for works closely with the government...does this affect anything?
Hi,
If a prospective employer is asking for a police clearance certificate or an Enhanced disclosure certificate from the UK - then that could possibly be a problem.
Likewise, if someone applies for a government position in Abu Dhabi - they need to go through the mysterious Security Clearance process.
If, however, someone is going to be working for a private company in Dubai - then I don't really see a problem (other than what has already been mentioned about keeping calm and avoiding road rage incidents in the UAE - which will be easier said than done!).
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! That makes sense and definitely eases my mind! I won't count our blessings yet but I certainly feel a little better about it. I wonder If it is just me being silly but aside from the very basics I cant seem to find much information on the whole working visa / permit situation, particularly on this subject. But I will stop worrying for now! Thank you :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a colleague who served multiple years in jail for a fairly high profile crime in another country over 10 years ago. He has declared it and received visas without any issue, and indeed even received UAE security clearances to access restricted facilities.

The UAE is more concerned if you are currently WANTED for a crime than if you have committed a crime abroad in the past and served your time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts