Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking towards moving to the Malaga area May/June 2018.

At the moment my Spanish is intermediate, but I am attending lessons and also plan to do an intensive course to get my skills tip top.

My background is office / admin / recruitment with a Law degree.

I have considered undertaking TEFL / CELTA and researched it for months. Having just been through 2 tests and an interview I have been formally offered a place on the CELTA Course. I figured that if I could work part time or freelance teaching English that would help me get my foot in the door and start me off with a steady income when I arrive.

My question is, would I be able to pick up work fairly easily with having a good understanding of Spanish (which will hopefully get better once I live there) ? Or would you recommend me to complete the CELTA as it might be easier for me to pick up work ? The other benefit of the CELTA is that it is recognised worldwide, so doesn’t only limit me to Spain in the future. I don’t want to spend £1500 on a course if it will not prove to be necessary. I would rather spend some of my hard earned money on an intensive Spanish Course.

I am really torn with what to do for the best. The CELTA Course starts in 3 weeks so I really need to make my decision.

Thank you for your time and advice!

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
If I were you I would do the course. Other than teaching English, there are very few job opportunities. My friend did it three years ago, found work immediately with a local academy and was inundated with requests for private lessons. However be aware that even with the qualification the pay and conditions can be very bad.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Without knowing much about it, I would doubt that you could practice law in any way here without retraining in Spanish law and having a high level of Spanish. There may be opportunities in some international companies, but I really think they would be few and far between. You could may be telework here for a British firm, but personally I thik you only get half of the lifestyle that way ie you'd be working on your own and not participating in Spanish life...
You could do the CELTA course but expect low pay and very probably evening timetables with young students. Also you'd have to evaluate if you would really be happy teaching...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you advise to try and get my Spanish as fluent as possible ? Would that potentially open up more doors with regards to work? Forgetting about the law side of things. Just general admin / reception / hotel / estate agent jobs ?

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Would you advise to try and get my Spanish as fluent as possible ? Would that potentially open up more doors with regards to work? Forgetting about the law side of things. Just general admin / reception / hotel / estate agent jobs ?
Yes!:)
It will all help, even if not for work. If you end up being employed for an estate agent's for example that deal mainly with foreigners, but outside of that you'll need Spanish to build up your contacts and make friends
I strongly recommend getting some face 2 face input as well. A week's (or more!) speaking course here or find a Spanish speaker in your community (Not South American if possible because the accent and vocabulary can be really different).
Save

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes!:)
It will all help, even if not for work. If you end up being employed for an estate agent's for example that deal mainly with foreigners, but outside of that you'll need Spanish to build up your contacts and make friends
I strongly recommend getting some face 2 face input as well. A week's (or more!) speaking course here or find a Spanish speaker in your community (Not South American if possible because the accent and vocabulary can be really different).
Save
Thank you.

Looks like I have some more thinking to do this weekend. I will take your advice on board. I am still not really any further forward as to whether I should do the CELTA and then have to do the Spanish on top or if I should just take an intense Spanish language 2-3 week course in Malaga and take it from there.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Thank you.

Looks like I have some more thinking to do this weekend. I will take your advice on board. I am still not really any further forward as to whether I should do the CELTA and then have to do the Spanish on top or if I should just take an intense Spanish language 2-3 week course in Malaga and take it from there.
Hopefully more people will chip in with different points of view. I know about TEFL and mainly in Madrid. You can find work, but it's difficult to make a good salary with a good timetable. However, that could be said about a lot of Spanish people working in IT/ marketing/ HR... you name it!
Obviously you're the one who has to make the final decision, and it's a toughie:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts