Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I was granted the Work and Holiday Visa (462) recently. I am still in the United States trying to sort out everything before I leave for Australia.

I hope once I arrive, I hope I'm able to find an employer willing to sponsor me for the 457 Visa (there's no condition on the Visa). I do have some concerns though.

My spouse will still be in the United States since they are over 30 and do not qualify for the 462 Visa. The plan is I go over 1st for a few months and take i from there. What will be the best way for them to come over? If I can find an employer to sponsor me, will they be able to come over even though the Visa will be logged in Australia? This is of course the company will allow family to be added. Will there be any other options to take?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Yes, you can add your spouse as a secondary applicant to a 457 visa. You will need to provide a copy of the marriage certificate and possibly other evidence to prove the relationship is genuine and ongoing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you can add your spouse as a secondary applicant to a 457 visa. You will need to provide a copy of the marriage certificate and possibly other evidence to prove the relationship is genuine and ongoing.
It will be a De Facto relationship (8 years together). I was a bit concerned since I will be in Australia and they will still be in the United States. There will not be any trouble with that, correct?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
It will be a De Facto relationship (8 years together). I was a bit concerned since I will be in Australia and they will still be in the United States. There will not be any trouble with that, correct?
For a de facto, you generally need to prove that you've cohabitated for at least one year. Joint leases, mail sent to the same address, photos, joint travel itineraries, wedding invitations, etc. are some examples of evidence you would need to provide to show that it is a genuine and ongoing relationship.

I should add that you would be responsible for taking out health insurance on yourself and your de facto partner in order for the visa to be granted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts