Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unmarried couple Visa
Hi,
We delayed our move back to the UK, so I believe we have most of application good to go. However our situation has changed and I cant find any information on leaving the UK once the unmarried partner visa is approved.

My partner, who is Turkish, has a good offer to transfer to the London office if we can sort the visa issue. She is a consultant and her first job would actually be in Germany. It would either involve flying there for the working week and back to UK on weekends or staying there for the duration of the project, usually they last about 6 months.

I can forsee two potential problems:
1 - Is there a limit on time aborad with this Visa type? Eg. My visa here in Turkey used to be void if I spent more than 90 days per year abroad, though they changed this rule last year. If she moves there for the 6 months I can easily move with her as my work is already remote.

2 - How long does it take to get your passport back? I have seen people say 10 days while others say 6 months. Is there any way to have a set timetable as we can't move to the UK and my partner be on the payrole not doing her job indefinatly, even if that would be great for her!

Sorry if this question has been asked else where and thank you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
My partner, who is Turkish, has a good offer to transfer to the London office if we can sort the visa issue. She is a consultant and her first job would actually be in Germany. It would either involve flying there for the working week and back to UK on weekends or staying there for the duration of the project, usually they last about 6 months.
Apart from sorting any UK visa issues - is her employer going to support her when she has to apply for a visa that allows her to work in Germany?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Thanks for the reply.
Yes her emplyer will handle a visa for Germany.
We just need to manage the UK part.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
#1 No hard-and-fast rule. Her absence from UK must still be in keeping with the purpose of her visa, which is to live permanently in UK with her partner. Usually things like secondment are looked on favourably, esp if she returns to UK regularly.
#2 Can't tell. It takes as long as it does.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Unmarried couple Visa
Hi,
We delayed our move back to the UK, so I believe we have most of application good to go. However our situation has changed and I cant find any information on leaving the UK once the unmarried partner visa is approved.

I can forsee two potential problems:
1 - Is there a limit on time aborad with this Visa type? Eg. My visa here in Turkey used to be void if I spent more than 90 days per year abroad, though they changed this rule last year. If she moves there for the 6 months I can easily move with her as my work is already remote.
The point of applying for a visa to live together in the UK, is to live together in the UK. While there is no official rule about how much time you can spend outside of the UK whilst on an unmarried partner visa, you are expected to live together in the UK. 6 months is probably ok if you join her in Germany which shows that you have a continuing commitment. Is this a one time thing? If so, it's probably ok but if her work is going to consistently take her out of the UK, she'll have a problem when it comes time to renew her visa.

2 - How long does it take to get your passport back? I have seen people say 10 days while others say 6 months. Is there any way to have a set timetable as we can't move to the UK and my partner be on the payrole not doing her job indefinatly, even if that would be great for her!
There is no set timetable and she can't work in the UK until she has a valid visa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.