Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son arrived yesterday in Cape Town from USA to attend college. He just signed a lease for a new apartment in the Woodstock area. He was told that this is an up and coming area, but I am very concerned about crime. Even though the lease has already been signed, can anyone with personal knowledge of this area please offer advice, ASAP? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
My son arrived yesterday in Cape Town from USA to attend college. He just signed a lease for a new apartment in the Woodstock area. He was told that this is an up and coming area, but I am very concerned about crime. Even though the lease has already been signed, can anyone with personal knowledge of this area please offer advice, ASAP? Thank you!
Up and coming.... I hope so as in the 90's it was a dump.
(PS What is he doing there?)

Some news from Woodstock.... (I think you should Google)

Student dies as man mugs 5 people 30 January 2010
Marchers remember 'great day' in history 17 January 2010
No thank you for the music, says Hout Bay 12 January 2010
State condoms found dumped in Woodstock 6 January 2010
Minstrels send the city's temperature soaring 2 January 2009
Shack fires leave hundreds homeless 18 December 2009
Kids escape prison of flames 18 December 2009
Dog found dangling by the neck 17 December 2009
Guards save girl from 'kidnapper' 16 December 2009
Cops found guilty of beating refugee 3 December 2009
'I loved her dearly, she was my eyes' 24 November 2009
Two die in Woodstock shooting 10 November 2009
Hijack suspect's death to be probed 8 November 2009
Will COPE cope? 6 November 2009
Now the flower generation can leave in style 21 October 2009
Photographer who painted with his camera dies 20 October 2009
Cape photographer Garth Stead dies 19 October 2009
'I hope his family finds peace' 19 October 2009
'Lovers' quarrels' spark two murders 15 October 2009
Wanted man arrested in Cape Town 1 October 2009

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up and coming.... I hope so as in the 90's it was a dump.
(PS What is he doing there?)

Some news from Woodstock.... (I think you should Google)
So, I'm not being just an overprotective, insecure mom?:eek:

He's working on his Doctorate at the University of Cape Town. He and his partner just signed a lease for a new apartment in the Upper East Side area, south off Victoria/Main near Queens Park Rd. I've been doing more research since I last posted today and frankly, I'm afraid to read the links you posted....I'm scared to death already!! While my son has lived and traveled throughout Europe, I can honestly say that I don't think he's ever chosen any area this dangerous and I've no idea what being a mixed-race couple might hold for them. I haven't quite figured out the whole 'race' thing yet. I've advised them NOT to go north of Victoria/Main and NOT to venture out alone at night AT ALL, but they are in their 20's and invincible, you know? aggghhh!! But thank you for the links, I sincerely appreciate your reply and I'll forward them on to him, for sure! Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated....Ohio's a LONG way from Cape Town!

P.S. I read something about ATM scams? Can you or anyone else shed some light on what the article may have been referring to?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PSS.....I see that you are in Melbourne? My ever- the- adventurous son just received his masters from Griffith University on the Gold Coast. I wish he'd stayed!!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
PSS.....I see that you are in Melbourne? My ever- the- adventurous son just received his masters from Griffith University on the Gold Coast. I wish he'd stayed!!
Well, that's life.... And youth :)

ATM fraud... well, that everywhere. Then again you son sounds like a smart kid, I'm sure he'll sort the wheat from the chaff soon enough.

Drove through Ohio a few years ago.... Seemed nice...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, that's life.... And youth :)

ATM fraud... well, that everywhere. Then again you son sounds like a smart kid, I'm sure he'll sort the wheat from the chaff soon enough.

Drove through Ohio a few years ago.... Seemed nice...
He's book smart, not necessarily street smart, but sounds like he will be soon! Again, thanks for you input...your babies are adorable!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
He's book smart, not necessarily street smart, but sounds like he will be soon! Again, thanks for you input...your babies are adorable!
Angelic outside... little devils underneath.....
Hope it all works out.... and tell him not to look like a tourist.... and don't do the obvious.... ALSO, if you are held up just hand it over. I'm sure he will be fine and will enjoy the experience...... of living in Woodstock.

Good Site....
Woodstock Residents Association

·
Registered
179 Posts
P.S. I read something about ATM scams? Can you or anyone else shed some light on what the article may have been referring to?
I'm not sure which article you are saw? However, I just attended a SA Police Service security briefing and a little was spoken about ATM fraud-
The scam spoke of is similar to one that has been used elsewhere. A strip is inserted into the machine that 'catches' your card. The criminal is watching for you to type in your PIN. (It is advisable to use multi-fingers for this as it is harder to read that- then the single finger poke method. ;)) Due to tampering, the machine is 'stuck' and does not respond and cannot return the card to the owner. Owner walks away and the criminal then removes the strip with card and is now able to withdrawl with the pin they saw being typed in.
One simple way to avoid this is to insert the card, hit "cancel" and insure that the card is returned. If the card is not returned- the machine is compramised... walk away and report. This way, no one sees the pin being entered and the owner is aware the machine is tampered with. Most crime in SA is not as technologically sophisticated as it can be in the states- so with some common sense, one can avoid a lot. :)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Most crime in SA is not as technologically sophisticated as it can be in the states- so with some common sense, one can avoid a lot. :)
Correct, it normally involves a knife to the neck or a gun to the head.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in Cape Town and would NEVER ever consider renting in the Woodstock area. Its not a good area and is quite dangerous.

G

·
I worked in Woodstock for 20 years and never got mugged but in Cape Town you have to be aware of your suroundings, like anywhere in the world, the East End in London, the Bronx in New York........ and on, and on.....

Woodstock is very much up and coming with 50% residents that are students, the houses are wonderfully renovated, with bay windows, polished wooden floors and what better views, you have the Majestic Table Mountain at your back door and Cape Town Harbor at your front door, not to mention cafes, bars, lovely deli's within walking distance......we wanted to purchase a house in University Estate, just above Woodstock, but was just out of our price range......

Good luck to your son regarding his studies........Capetonians are a very friendly crowd, so that too will help him to feel at home!

Colin and Erica

·
Registered
13 Posts
I still will warn people away from Woodstock. Yes its up and coming, but has a VERY long way to go irrespective of what some people may think. That whole area Woodstock, Salt River, Observatory has a large criminal element.

Observatory is only a few minutes by car from Woodstock and on this past Friday evening a University Of Cape Town student was killed.

News - Crime & Courts: Family grieves stabbed UCT student

G

·
I still will warn people away from Woodstock. Yes its up and coming, but has a VERY long way to go irrespective of what some people may think. That whole area Woodstock, Salt River, Observatory has a large criminal element.

Observatory is only a few minutes by car from Woodstock and on this past Friday evening a University Of Cape Town student was killed.

News - Crime & Courts: Family grieves stabbed UCT student
And just last week here in PERTH Australia, 2 Indian students were stabbed (double murder) down the road from us!!! And another resident in Armadale, in Australia had a home invasion of 5 men and he too was stabbed..........3 days ago, a 13 year old schoolboy was stabbed to death in school by a fellow pupil also in Australia! Yes, Cape Town and within the RSA has a big criminal element, like my husband and I said in an earlier post, after he worked for a Mercedes Benz company border Salt River/Woodstock, (20 years) never had any scares....and remembering there were large amonts of cash on the premises every single day. I believe in the old saying.....'In the wrong place at the wrong time' be aware.....we ONLY left Cape Town because Colin got retrenched after 20 years service, with the unemployment like it is, we had no choice......otherwise we too would still be there enjoying the most beautiful City in the world and the fantastic people.

E

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
And just last week here in PERTH Australia, 2 Indian students were stabbed (double murder) down the road from us!!! And another resident in Armadale, in Australia had a home invasion of 5 men and he too was stabbed..........3 days ago, a 13 year old schoolboy was stabbed to death in school by a fellow pupil also in Australia! Yes, Cape Town and within the RSA has a big criminal element, like my husband and I said in an earlier post, after he worked for a Mercedes Benz company border Salt River/Woodstock, (20 years) never had any scares....and remembering there were large amonts of cash on the premises every single day. I believe in the old saying.....'In the wrong place at the wrong time' be aware.....we ONLY left Cape Town because Colin got retrenched after 20 years service, with the unemployment like it is, we had no choice......otherwise we too would still be there enjoying the most beautiful City in the world and the fantastic people.

E
Anecdotal jibber jabber such as this has no place in the real world..... In fact, I would go as far to say this poster is most likely on some kind of medication that skews reality and crime statistics.

G

·
Anecdotal jibber jabber such as this has no place in the real world..... In fact, I would go as far to say this poster is most likely on some kind of medication that skews reality and crime statistics.

Hey Halo! My apologies for giving my opinion and for speaking my mind.....while I am doing just that, is it just you or your life that you are unhappy with, as you sound an extremely unhappy and negative person??:confused: No, we cannot candy coat crime, no matter how serious it is.....and considering I spent most of my life around the corner from Woodstook...Mmmmm, yeah.....I think I know a tad more than you could ever imagine.;)

E

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hey Halo! My apologies for giving my opinion and for speaking my mind.....while I am doing just that, is it just you or your life that you are unhappy with, as you sound an extremely unhappy and negative person??:confused: No, we cannot candy coat crime, no matter how serious it is.....and considering I spent most of my life around the corner from Woodstook...Mmmmm, yeah.....I think I know a tad more than you could ever imagine.;)

E
I see you're also a psychologist..... Many thanks for the free consultation.
Now to crime.... It’s all about the stats and the severity..... You quoted a few incidents in Australia (yes the who darm place...... i.e not a suburb/city over a certain period) sure, we get the odd murder, who doesn't' but to try and compare in some insidious way is preposterous which I can only put down to someone who is incredibly naïve.
I’m glad you hung around Woodstock and came out unscathed, but to suggest to intelligent and open minded individuals all around the world that the place is safe while you sit abroad is laughable.

G

·
I see you're also a psychologist..... Many thanks for the free consultation.
Now to crime.... It’s all about the stats and the severity..... You quoted a few incidents in Australia (yes the who darm place...... i.e not a suburb/city over a certain period) sure, we get the odd murder, who doesn't' but to try and compare in some insidious way is preposterous which I can only put down to someone who is incredibly naïve.
I’m glad you hung around Woodstock and came out unscathed, but to suggest to intelligent and open minded individuals all around the world that the place is safe while you sit abroad is laughable.

Hi Halo! It's my pleasure......as my father was a psychologist, I cannot help myself, used to get free consultations at home all the time! No....my husband worked in Woodstock, and yes, we stayed in Mowbray, familiar with the area??? It is very close to Woodstock.

I believe in a positive attitute, SPECIALLY when people are going over to live, study and work.......we all know the DOOM AND GLOOM of life there and where ever......YES....be realistic, but a POSITIVE outlook can make the world of diffrence, to those who have loved ones moving there!!!!!

E

·
Registered
13 Posts
I still LIVE in Cape Town and have a friend who lives in Woodstock. She bought an apartment there about 10 yrs ago as the prices were very cheap compared to other suburbs. She has been a victim of crime a few times.

There are murders committed everywhere in the world, but you CANNOT compare it to what is happening in South Africa and to try and convince people otherwise who have no firsthand knowledge of South AFrica and the dangers is very irresponsible.

Are you aware of how many foreigners have been murdered here in the past year? Its not reported extensively and so you will maybe hear it on the news but after initial reporting, one never hears of it again.

Just recently a german girl was murdered in Cape Town and I have no idea what has happened since.....No reports.

Rapes of male and female and what about torture.....Victims are also tortured by heating an iron (to iron clothes) and burning their victims with it.

Foreigners are also targetted because you can see them a mile off.

You might have worked in Woodstock, but you were lucky to get out of the country without anything happening to you. PEople have been hijacked, stabbed and murdered in Woodstock.

It does not happen occasionally, but rather a regular occurence.

My neighbour was shot in the stomach and killed. What was taken from her.....nothing.

My sons friend was thrown off a moving train and died.

If you were not touched by crime when in South AFrica count yourself lucky. If you had stayed the odds would not have been in your favour anymore.

I believe although I love South AFrica and would like to sing its praises to people from overseas (which I do) I also think its imperative for people who are visiting here to be aware of what its really like in SA.

If you live here, you automatically are more aware of the dangers and what places to avoid or be careful of. As a visitor you do not have this advantage and therefore are at higher risk.

Also no offence Erica Clyde but a positive attitude is not going to stop you being murdered, rape or robbed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts