Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we need some new log burners. Planning on having up to three installed in fireplaces. Can anyone put me in touch with or, recommend a supplier/fitter of said product?

Thanks in advance

Andy

G

·
Hi all, we need some new log burners. Planning on having up to three installed in fireplaces. Can anyone put me in touch with or, recommend a supplier/fitter of said product?

Thanks in advance

Andy
Whereabouts in France, Fougerelles du Plessis area? You will find local dealers for individual makes, as well as a variety of brands at the big DIY stores.

Go to PagesJaunes : Annuaire des professionnels

Enter, for example, "inserts" in the 'qui quoi' window, the place in 'ou', and tick the 'a cote de' box.

You will have a list of suppliers, but which probably will not include the major DIY stores.

Bear in mind that the installation cost can be considerable for these, make sure you get firm quotes up front. The big stores usually provide the contact details of an approved installer.

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
We just happen to be in the market for a wood burning stove, too, and in my research I stumbled across this site, which might be of interest to you: Poele Bois: Conseils, slection de poeles & adresses de revendeurs

Most of the brands that make stoves also make inserts and this site gives you some overview of a variety of brands available in France and you can find dealers and installers using their search capacity.

We're going through a builder who lives in the neighborhood. He doesn't do the wood burners himself, but is going to put us in contact with the person he uses for this work. (We're going to have to have the chimney taken out to install the stove, so it will involve a bit more construction work than what you're doing.)
Cheers,
Bev

G

·
Just a caveat - there are some very cheap but very poor quality stoves around - a builder I know has tried to flog me a couple, but they were absolute junk. Given the risk of toxic fumes it's worth spending a bit more for peace of mind I reckon...

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have a Mulberry Stove, its the Beckett model and I believe they have a supplier in France, (we took ours with us from Ireland) - you should check them out, its super efficient and very well made, love it on the chilly winter evenings. Their website offers a contact form and if you just ask for the contact details of the French supplier I'm sure you'll be well pleased with the quality and price. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A job that we shall soon be embarking on winter soon approaching and looking to make more visits in the winter - have found the info on burners very useful. Had thought of bringing my own stove over from the uk and installing myself, we shouldnt need a large one, having only a smalll height in chimney. But - having visited the brico stores and clicking on the above, I see there is a huge selection and many adverts for installers. Question - does French law require the burner / stove to be installed by a professional ? cheers Sam

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
A job that we shall soon be embarking on winter soon approaching and looking to make more visits in the winter - have found the info on burners very useful. Had thought of bringing my own stove over from the uk and installing myself, we shouldnt need a large one, having only a smalll height in chimney. But - having visited the brico stores and clicking on the above, I see there is a huge selection and many adverts for installers. Question - does French law require the burner / stove to be installed by a professional ? cheers Sam
If there is a law requiring professional installation, they probably have problems enforcing it. Unregistered construction work is kind of a national sport in France.

But installing a wood stove IS eligible for a very nice income tax credit, and to claim that, you MUST have the stove installed by a professional, as it is only the amount billed by the installer with the appropriate VAT included that is eligible for the tax credit.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
We have a Jotul wood burner, which, nominally, chucks out 18kW, but, conversely, eats about 12 brasses of wood per year, which, here, costs about 130E/brasse, cut & delivered (for hard, dry wood), and, of course, we have to make the space available to store it.

You should check out the burners which accept wood pellets, & have a hopper, so you don't have to keep feeding it every two minutes. You should also check out the relative costs of logs v pellets in your area - there is a huge difference all over France. Some of the pellet burner suppliers, for example, offer you a couple of months' worth of pellets for free if you use them.

You should also bear in mind that there have been additional tax credits for Fioul burners these last years, not only for installation, but also for the Fioul itself, which might make things more economically (& controllably) viable.

Finally, the advice re tax credits is correct, BUT they are only for the materials - not the labour - & yes, you do have to have an "entreprise" or otherwise registered (at the Chambre de Commerce) supplier/installer to benefit. Bear in mind also that there is a "plafond" for the tax credits depending upon the make-up of your domestic "foyer" - your tax office can tell you what those "plafonds" are for your particular set-up. If you have a considerable installation, you may wish to plan the timing to span more than one calendar year (get dated invoices to prove that), ie start work mid-Dec, finish it mid Jan, for example.

Hope this helps
Hils

G

·
A brasse? I was once told that this measurement should be avoided, as it is tends to be somewhat `flexible` from region to region. The stère is the most commonly used measure I think, and 60 to 70 euros per stère is the going rate for a mainly dry oak mix in the Vaucluse, 50 cm lengths... How does that compare to your costs, Hils?

I have a Jotul stove too, a quality make. But if anyone has a spare insert lying around, I am in the market for four more right now... needed quite urgently.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
A brasse? I was once told that this measurement should be avoided, as it is tends to be somewhat `flexible` from region to region. The stère is the most commonly used measure I think, and 60 to 70 euros per stère is the going rate for a mainly dry oak mix in the Vaucluse, 50 cm lengths... How does that compare to your costs, Hils?

I have a Jotul stove too, a quality make. But if anyone has a spare insert lying around, I am in the market for four more right now... needed quite urgently.
The Auvergne is somewhere that going back in time is a "given" (a bit like going north of Watford in the UK lol); everything is sold in brasses, but here, the general (although variable) consensus of definition is 2.75 steres=1 brasse so what I pay is OK. The wood I get is a mix of hard woods, all having been split and cut to 50cm & stored under cover for at least 2 years. For the shoulder seasons, I mix the hard wood with a lot of ****** that I pay 15E for, delivered, but in 2m lengths, from the wood yard next door. (1 lot = 1 brasse, just to confuse the issue). I cut & store the ****** for a year before using.

Errrm - when I say "I", of course that term is being used somewhat loosely ... lol

Re inserts, d'you mean closed fires to fit in a chimney place, or the liners for your existing stove ? 'Cos if the latter, the only thing to do is to order them from a Jotul dealer (one set of the four last year for my 18kW burner cost 160-oddE, so it's not outrageously outrageous if it's your only source of heat).

Good luck
Hils

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
O by the way...
You have to be fiscally resident in France to get the tax credits, so they won't apply if you're not resident here, or if you are, but haven't done a tax return, or don't plan to do a tax return next year, here.

However, if you have, and even if your income means you don't actually pay any tax here, or if you have a low income, you still get the tax credits in the form of a cheque from the tax office (nice eh ?)

Hils

G

·
Re inserts, d'you mean closed fires to fit in a chimney place, or the liners for your existing stove ? 'Cos if the latter, the only thing to do is to order them from a Jotul dealer (one set of the four last year for my 18kW burner cost 160-oddE, so it's not outrageously outrageous if it's your only source of heat).

Good luck
Hils
.../...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.