Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company has asked me to spend a year as an Expat in Gandhinagar, India to work with one of our teams there. Basic idea being to help them build the group and be able to add more value to the company.

The idea of spending a year out of the country doing something really different than what I normally do sounds like a lot of fun. Downside is that I wouldn't see my 12 year old daughter as much. I'm divorced so my time is already limited. What have been your experiences? Have you found it to be rewarding?

I also have a question on compensation. I'm assuming being sent out of the country by my company means I'll be additionally compensated. My boss wants to discuss this. However I have no idea what it would be. 5%, 10% of my salary? Are companies expected to send you back for periodic visits? I'm thinking every two to three months I would like to come back and see my daughter for a couple of weeks.

I appreciate your feedback,

Erik

G

·
Everything is negotiable before you sign anything.

Here's what I would ask for:

1. Company paid housing for you (housing can be expensive there, and tough to get as an individual but easy for the local company). Ask the company to pay your rent directly on your behalf, and not just the rent allowance included in your check as part of your salary - for the tax consequences to you. Specify that they either rent a furnished apartment or pay for rental furniture if it's available so you don't have to buy it.

2. Same salary that you now receive but with 1 year contract signed by you and the company, with a 10-20% (of your annual salary amount) completion bonus to be paid at the end of the contract. If the company later changes their mind and brings you home before the year is up, they still pay the completion bonus. If you don't complete the one year term, you forfeit the bonus.

3. Company paid airline tickets for you. Normally, most companies would give you one RT ticket home per year. If you want to come back 3 or 4 times a year, you may have to pay for the others, but you have to get them to commit to giving you that time off also. Maybe you can work 6 days a week for 10 weeks, and then take two weeks off to come back. Asking for it can't hurt and will keep you busy.

4. Overseas medical insurance that covers evacuation to the US in case of major emergency (although there is good medical in India).

5. Avoid hitting the company up for moving expenses, and live out of your suitcases instead of moving your household with you. Emphasize this cost savings to your boss.

6. Depending on the timing, you will be able to claim the Foreign Earned Income exclusion for your US taxes, so you will realize some big savings there. Don't spend that savings - sock it away.

7. Because you may end up in the US for more than 30 days for visits to your daughter during your time there, insist that the company get you legal residence there so you can get the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion based on residency and not on your days spent outside the US.

8: Buy your daughter a video web camera and install Skype on her computer so that you can talk and see each other for free when you're away.

9. SAVE SAVE SAVE your money during your time outside the US, and don't pixx it away doing what seems like "fun stuff". This is your chance to really sock away some serious cash. Keep your nose to the grindstone while there, and enjoy it with your daughter when you get back.

10. Get a commitment from the company and your boss that if you do a good job (with goals set in place before you leave), there will be a promotion waiting for you when you return, based on your added value to the company.

11. Some kind of transportation arrangement, either a driver or a car for your time there.

-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly what I was looking for. A 20% boost in salary would be pretty amazing. Shoot for the stars and hit the moon right:) I definitely wouldn't have thought of your suggestions.

Thank you for the great input. I will look into your suggestions. Really appreciate it.

Erik

1 - 3 of 3 Posts