Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mention of Wizz air in the travel thread below had me checking out their website. The Hungarian airline is going to be flying in/out of the new Dubai airport.

I picked a random Friday in late November and found a one-way ticket from Dubai to Budapest for 350 AED, inclusive of all taxes. On the same day I can also book a separate ticket on Wizz from Budapest to London Luton for 150 AED.

500 AED to get to London, one way.

Pause here for a moment.

Is this the beginning of truly budget air travel between Europe and Dubai?

:)

Then again, does this mean the UAE will soon be opening up to the mass, mass low-budget travel with all its implications?

:eek:

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Then again, does this mean the UAE will soon be opening up to the mass, mass low-budget travel with all its implications?

I hope so, it'll be hilarious to see all the precious people who live here getting themselves worked up at Sharon from Croydon thundering through Dubai Mall with her corned beef thighs on display.

·
Registered
203 Posts

I guess the legal system will get very busy processing all those "kisses" on the beaches and in taxi's... I can totally predict the contents of the front page of 7Days each day....

·
Registered
858 Posts
I expect they'll be a big rise in the number of "Sex on DXB beach leds to arrests" stories reported in the Daily Mail this winter...

Easyjet (they built that hotel in JAFZA for a reason) and Ryanair will be following soon.

Dubai tourism has already dropped to pretty dire levels with all the Russian package tourists / cheap FlyDubai flights from the ex-USSR.

It's about to get a WHOLE lot worse with the arrival of "Essex boyz" on stag do :( :( :(

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I spent the Eid holidays in Bali (overrated) and I have to say watching the proudly trashy Australians was astonishing - worse than anything I'd seen in Australia itself! It brought out the snob in me. :eek: I don't know if the powers that be really know what they're getting into by opening up the city to mass market budget travel. The Russians, for all their flaws, at least seem to spend tons of money in the pretentious bars and clubs and shops. In their own way they're a perfect fit for the pseudo-luxury consumerism that Dubai flaunts.

One of the ironies of this place is that many of the expats who live here aren't the kind of people who would go to Dubai for a holiday except perhaps as a short layover en-route someplace else.

What a funny place.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Anywhere branded as a 'shopping destination' is always going to attract fools - regardless of background! They just buy a different level of tat.

I dont think the 'arse-hattery' levels will change, they'll just liven up 7 Days a bit with a little more variety!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have to say watching the proudly trashy Australians was astonishing - worse than anything I'd seen in Australia itself! .
I assume you felt a little uncomfortable not sporting a mullet?!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We spent all of three hours in Kuta, which was two hours and 59 minutes too long.

We were mostly in Nusa Lembongan, Ubud and the Gili Islands. We did do a trek through the rice fields around the Sideman valley as well as the various temples north of Ubud.

I'd have to politely disagree that Bali is stunning. Parts of it is pretty but other areas of Indonesia and SE Asia are much, much prettier, with both better beaches and more interesting and scenic countryside. But the water was pure joy and we saw several fantastic sunsets.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good trip but we perhaps expected too much from Bali whereas the reality is quite different.

I take it you went to Kuta? Other parts of the island are stunning

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just checked out Wizz Air potential. Direct flights into Bucharest and Sofia at convenient hours and cheap prices. I think I'll include those as weekend trip destinations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts