Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
I am first time poster, long time reader - hoping to receive any relevant input on this topic below:

I am Canadian, living and working in France. I applied for my UK spouse visa from France on April 15, 2015. For whatever reason a decision has not yet been made on my application. However, we are unable to wait much longer given that my wife is already 30 weeks pregnant and is struggling to manage things on her own back in UK. Due to this situation, we are seriously considering the possibility that she relocates to France temporarily for a year or so before we figure out our move to the UK. This is a big decision as my wife has to possibly manage all of this in a very short time.

To make it easier for her, I am planning to withdraw my application and travel to UK as a visitor to help her pack up, wind down our housing, etc. and bring her to France. I have the following two questions:

1) Based on your experience, how long will it take to complete my application withdrawal process? i hope it only takes a couple of days for them to return my passport and documents...
2) I'd imagine that they will stamp in my passport that I had applied or whatever before returning it back to me. with this assumption, will there be a problem in traveling to the UK as a visitor for 2 weeks? of course, I will take along all the relevant documents to show that I intend to return to France in 2 weeks.

can you please provide your thoughts/input/ideas and/or experiences?

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
First thing I must say is having your child outside UK means your child will be British by descent, and won't be able to pass on British nationality to any children born abroad. And if your wife is British by descent (e.g. born abroad), the child will not be British from birth (though you may be able to register as British later depending on circumstances). So weigh things up very carefully. Once the child is born, you cannot change the status and it will be with the child for life.

Also switching her pre-natal care so late in her pregnancy isn't advisable, and there are differences in how maternity care is delivered between UK and France, and she may not feel so confident in a French hospital with a minimum of English being spoken. And in order to have a child in France, your wife has to make arrangement in advance through NHS or pay privately.
Don't worry about any record kept about your spouse visa application.

I must say you have left things rather late in her pregnancy to apply for spouse visa. Perhaps there was a reason for it - like meeting the financial requirement, but it seriously restricts your options. Getting your passport back can take 10 business days or 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your insights. Yes you right we did file the application too late - we needed the time for meeting the requirement including financial. We honestly didn't think it would take this long, based on what I had researched other applicants have been receiving in 4-8 weeks.

Joppy, just to clarify that if I get my application withdrawn, I would not have any issues in traveling back to UK as a visitor right after I get my passport. Would you recommend any additional documents to take to make sure I am not refused entry when I show up as a visitor?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.