Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum so may have posted this on the wrong area :confused:

Anyway, I will try and keep this a short a possible!! I am a serving Police Officer with almost 9 years experience alot of time has been spent as a Detective but I did 4 years in uniform. A few years ago when Western Australia were recruiting I considered the move but never took it seriously, before I knew it the opportunity had gone!

Does anyone know if Western Australia will be recruiting again? I have heard that they may start looking for international recruits towards the end of 2012.....I look on their website daily.

I am married with two children both at primary school, so it would be a big move for them. My wife is a Qualified Dental Nurse but I dont think that counts as a skill to migrate in Australia.

This may sound daft, but I have never been to Western Australia.....but am starting to do my research and speak to others that live their and have heard nothing but good things.

We are a hard working family, and both work long hours, live in a tiny house and dont live an extravagant lifestyle by any means.....so basically I want the change. I want to be able to spend more time with my children, but of course will still work hard as its in my nature.

Theres alot to consider in moving and this is only the start, so I am sure I will be posting more threads for advice from the experts!!

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear from people in a similar situation and if anyone has advice for me now or info on the Police Recruitment status.....

Thanks Again.....

·
Banned
934 Posts
About 6 months ago WA Police said they wouldn't be hiring internationally anytime soon, but of course this can always change. The majority of WA Police officers are British though. They recently did a internal recruiting campaign and significantly dropped the entry standards, so I guess soem local dropkicks could make the cut.

Being a police officer in Australia is not a nice job though. Has a very high turnover rate and it's not a respected profession like it is in the UK.

Your wife may qualify for a visa and if she qualifies for a visa you will be be able to apply and likely be taken on by the WAPOL if you already have a visa. So that's an option.

I would visit Perth before considering a move here though. It's extremely expensive here (London doesn' compare) It's isolated, boring, crime ridden and you work longer hours. etc Most people come to Australia for the lifestyle and realise that they had a better lifestyle back home. Like I said though the WAPOL will take you on if you are able to get a visa independently ie Your wife maybe eligiable.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wowza you havent sold it to me. A few friends of mine that have made the move really enjoy it.

Got to say I dont think policing in the UK is respected at all. Our government ignores our needs and we get the blame for the debt that this country is in amongst other things. Anyway thats a whole new thread!!

Thanks for your reply its nice to hear from different views......

·
Banned
934 Posts
making the move to Australia from 2000-2008 is one thing. Moving to Australia from 2009-2012 is quite another. There is a large dispora of British Expats heading back to the UK. Some people like it some people don't. Like I said Perth would be worth a look before perminently moving out here imo.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would visit Perth before considering a move here though. It's extremely expensive here (London doesn' compare) It's isolated, boring, crime ridden and you work longer hours. etc Most people come to Australia for the lifestyle and realise that they had a better lifestyle back home.
Hi Weebie,
A common negative comment about Australia from this forum and other online websites is that the cost of living in Australia is expensive. But you are the first to say that it is crime ridden and people work longer. Are you currently working in Melbourne as your profile states? I thought the lifestyle of not working long hours was not something followed in Australia? Just comparing how the US is branded working too much and not wanting to have a life. I disagree with this branding of course.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree, with jb, Australia is a very safe country. Crime here is absolutely non existent even when you compare it to Belgium. Which is so much safer than UK. SO I'm not sure what weebie is talking about.

G

·
Although I don't agree with weebie in that Australia is crime ridden it is certianly not crime free! Australia has its problems as every other country does. Gang, drug and gun crime is rife in some areas. As is car crime & public order offences. BUT this is not everywhere and not in areas I would choose to live in! Working as a social worker with offenders I've seen the data and can see just where they are hiring people to tackle this behaviour!

And yes they work long hours in Australia, I can only compare to the UK as I've not worked anywhere else. But a 40 hour week, less holidays than the UK, less statutory leave such as parental, sick etc but still may work loads less than the USA!

·
Banned
934 Posts
I'm based in Perth but off again to Singapore next month. Australia is safe if you have loads of money to live in a nice area which is what many British migrants don't

The data doesn't lie, Brit migrants are leaving Australia in record numbers and in terms of crime Australia is more dangerous than most Western Europe countries. I've heard that people in Perth are starting to put up barbed wire fencing in the outer suburbs.

The OP needs to ask himself. If Australia is so good why is it that they have to recruit internationally consistantly for a police force?

G

·
Agree with your last paragraph. Same with my field always recruiting from the UK. Why, because once there they leave pretty sharpish! Which is partly why we went back $35-$50k to be a social worker in some of the worst areas I mentioned dealing with Australias most difficult, poverty stiken people no thank you!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Shel,

In some professions in the US, workers do not get paid overtime for working overtime. Majority of the time working extra hours is per individual's choice. Depending what is due or that individual wanting to just finish the task so they don't have to spend extra time the next day trying to remember what they needed to get finished. This would actually be more towards jobs in the offices and require paperwork,etc.

Of course, each company is different and what work ethic they require from their employees. For the most part, there is no requirement to work additional hours. You do what you can do within that work time frame. However, it also depends on the individual's role in the company as some people have more responsibilities than others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.