Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There may be another thread with a similar title, but I just thought I'd get a thread going about winter here so that people have a chance to read about this myth that the Spain enjoys warm temperatures all year round.

It doesn't.

Parts of Spain experience warmer temperatures than most areas in the UK, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be warm - warmer perhaps, but I say perhaps and not for sure.

Things to look out for when thinking about temperatures/ the weather.

Think about the altitude of the place that you're looking at. The altitude affects the temperature and the kind of weather that you'll have considerably. Granada sells itself as being the place where you can ski in the morning and go to the beach in the afternoon and that's because of the different heights in the area.

How the house is built. Many houses, for what ever reason, are not well insulated, and/ or are built more for summer temperatures than winter so you need to think about how you will heat your home when the inevitable cold spell comes. It will certainly be warmer and last for a shorter period than the UK, but there will be one.

Clothes. Don't give away all your warm clothes. You may well need less and you will probably find that you will wear winter things for less time, but they will be needed from time to time. Don't think only about coats either. Houses can get incredibly cold inside, so you can find that you need to wear lots of layers in the living room and that you can peel them off when you go outside to the terrace.

Floods. Floods are quite frequent in certain places in Spain. Do not live too close to a dry river bed and find out about this before you buy a property. Look at this old thread to read about Jojo's flood experience
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/40315-flooded-out.html
The Canaries often experience floods and a quick Google will confirm that

Finally, yes it does snow in Spain and there can be frost and ice on your windscreen in the morning. I think it's unusual in the south, but I live in the province of Madrid at 880m and we typically get snow and can have ice on the car Nov - March, but I have even known it to snow abundantly on Mothers Day - Spanish Mother's Day, which is the first Sunday in May!!

·
Administrator
36,766 Posts
well said

on the whole, Spain is a cold country which gets a lot of sun - but that sun isn't always shining, & on winter days when yes, you might be able to sit in it for an hour or so, it's freezing out of it!!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
We'll I sat in Torrox Pueblo main square last month and it was roasting. Could have got away with shorts- rarely get that weather in UK in March

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you are not speaking about us down here in the Canary Islands?
Yes, I am!
Weather in the Canary Islands is very, very good, but does not give guaranteed weather 365 days of the year which is what some people mistakenly think they will get. As I said in the first post, flooding is not uncommon in parts of the Canaries and even on the same island there can be quite big differences in typical weather.
Look at this search from La Opinion Tenerife
inundaciones: Resultados de inundaciones en laopinion.es

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'll I sat in Torrox Pueblo main square last month and it was roasting. Could have got away with shorts- rarely get that weather in UK in March
But, I am not implying that the weather in Spain isn't different to the weather in the UK! It's not a surprise that you'll be wearing shorts long before people living in the UK. Even I living in the Madrid area have been able to get the sun bed out before and during Easter. However, it has been raining today and yesterday y bienvenida sea
The thread is about winter in Spain and how most people in most parts of Spain will experience cold at some time. A concept that is quite often unknown by people coming to live here!

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course there will be sun 365, its guaranteed and it says so in the small print on the back of your residency card, which incidentally you receive after 90 days as a taxpayer or 183 paying CGT in a RHD vehicle which has IBI..... I think
Don't start you!:)
PS Can you tell me why the people in my local Mercadona don't speak English? I think it's terribly rude of them to ty to make me understand Spanish...;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes, I am!
Weather in the Canary Islands is very, very good, but does not give guaranteed weather 365 days of the year which is what some people mistakenly think they will get. As I said in the first post, flooding is not uncommon in parts of the Canaries and even on the same island there can be quite big differences in typical weather.
Look at this search from La Opinion Tenerife
inundaciones: Resultados de inundaciones en laopinion.es
In the south we have an average 8 days rain a year, the north of the Island is 28 days but yeah when it rains it really rains.

·
Registered
410 Posts
2nd winter on the Costa del Sol and it was even more gruesome than the first! Below freezing at one point! & I was back in my 80 denier tights and boots on Saturday night! 'Never cast a clout til May is out' is apparantly not just applicable to Northern Europe!? A bit warmer out there today but still had me chunky cardy on to walk the dog!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
2nd winter on the Costa del Sol and it was even more gruesome than the first! Below freezing at one point! & I was back in my 80 denier tights and boots on Saturday night! 'Never cast a clout til May is out' is apparantly not just applicable to Northern Europe!? A bit warmer out there today but still had me chunky cardy on to walk the dog!
I imagine you have the same saying in your area: here they say "hasta el 40 de mayo, no te quites el sayo." I still have my flannel sheets out just in case.

The north can get quite cold, but there were days this winter when it was colder on the costas. It's great up here!

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Were you asleep for the two weeks of near 30C temperatures we had leading up to Easter, then?:)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Well, I can sunbathe here any day of the year, as long as it is sunny, which to be honest, it is most days of the year. However it is not HOT.

It hardly rain here, and when it does, we don't complain.

Cold? Well, a jacket (light) will do in winter, never wore jumpers, scarves, gloves or wolly hats. I believe some people say it is 'hot' when you don't wear the above things in winter.

I am from Pamplona, so I know what 'cold' means. Here in this part of Valencia, we have never experienced that sort of 'cold'.

But I wouldn't say it is hot in the winter here, however, when my family came for Xmas from Pamplona, they thought this was the Caribbean.... pah!

So I guess it all depends on what you call 'cold' and 'hot'....

·
Registered
410 Posts
Were you asleep for the two weeks of near 30C temperatures we had leading up to Easter, then?:)
No hinny I wasn't! But I am assuming you did your best Rip Van Winkle impersonation last week when it hoyed down, was pitch black and bloomin cold last week! That was certainly a truer picture or what we have endured for months!The 2 weeks were a reminder that I wasn't in Newcastle and was, in fact, living on the Costa del Sol! After the long, nasty winter and the batch of flu bugs we have been plagued with for months it was very easy to forget just where we were!! I thought this post was about Winter in Spain? A fortnight of sunny weather in Spring!? Not really Winter in Spain is it?

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
No hinny I wasn't! But I am assuming you did your best Rip Van Winkle impersonation last week when it hoyed down, was pitch black and bloomin cold last week! That was certainly a truer picture or what we have endured for months!The 2 weeks were a reminder that I wasn't in Newcastle and was, in fact, living on the Costa del Sol! After the long, nasty winter and the batch of flu bugs we have been plagued with for months it was very easy to forget just where we were!! I thought this post was about Winter in Spain? A fortnight of sunny weather in Spring!? Not's really Winter in Spain is it?
I've said elsewhere the temperatures this year have on the whole been lower this winter, but a long nasty winter? Really? I don't call mid November to mid March a long winter. This year, for example, it did not sling it down all day long on Christmas Day, which it did the year before., but was nice and sunny. You will always, always get very mixed weather in Spain (or anywhere else in Southern Europe, why else would Greece, or Southern Italy, for example, not really have a tourism season in winter?) during the winter months, and anybody who expects otherwise is kidding themselves. It is neither invariably glorious nor unrelentingly horrible.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Here in Valencia, I know you can start sunbathing and swimming (on beach) in April and right until mid November, been doing that for the last few years. Winter here is very short and sunny and spring hardly exists, we go straight to summer, lol!

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
We spent a freezing winter in Valencia one March. Thick coat weather, except we didn't have one. You must be very hardy to sea swin in Apri.:)

1 - 20 of 201 Posts